Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export Image: change renaming of duplicate image

If I export an image into a folder that that has another image with the same filename, Aperture will automatically rename the duplicate filename to image (1).jpg

I would rather it rename to image_1.jpg. This allows me to establish versioning on web images. The + (1) won't work as a web filename. Is there any way to change this automatic handling of duplicate file names? I already know that I can do it manually.

Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:08 PM

Kevin, what is your Aperture version?

In Aperture 3 I do not know of any setting, that can be used to change the default "(1)" appendix to "_1".

One strategy would be to avoid the generation of duplicate names in the first place. You could change the file name preset to include the "_1" or something similar for all filenames, so that you are sure, that no duplicate name will be generated. That is what I amdoing when exporting to a folder that already may contain images.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2012 2:08 PM in response to Kevin on Vashon

Kevin, what is your Aperture version?

In Aperture 3 I do not know of any setting, that can be used to change the default "(1)" appendix to "_1".

One strategy would be to avoid the generation of duplicate names in the first place. You could change the file name preset to include the "_1" or something similar for all filenames, so that you are sure, that no duplicate name will be generated. That is what I amdoing when exporting to a folder that already may contain images.

Nov 9, 2012 4:12 PM in response to léonie

This solved my problem. When I looked closer, I saw that I could add a new name format on Export Version to use the "versionName_counter", with no spaces. I didn't notice at first that I had this option.

This will do exactly what I need.

Why do I need to do this instead of just overwriting the old image online?

This is for a large catalog. My version names are the same as the item skus, i.e. "itemsku_1.jpg". When a new picture is posted online, it needs a slight file name change ("_1, _2, etc), to ensure the users browser and the content delivery network (AWS Cloudfront) feed the latest images instead of cached versions.

I'm liking Aperture a lot and find a diminishing need to jump Photoshop / Lightroom / Bridge.

Export Image: change renaming of duplicate image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.