Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extension IOStorageFamily.kext corrupt after cleaning ...

Hi lads,

looking for an easy fix 😉

This is what I did:

Had a couple of very old apps on my iMac, which didn't run anymore. So I uninstalled iFamily (an application for family trees) and my "friendly" 😠 CleanMyMac pops up to help me to uninstall this app.

This is what happens:

When I try to mount any external hard / flash drive, nothings shows, but I get an error msg. that my extension System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext is corrupt and needs reinstalling (or contact the vendor).

Also my system only restarts in safe mode (holding shift at start-up) otherwise I get a no-entry sign.

Now I've seen a similar problem here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2171837

but I'm no good with X11 / terminal / UNIX.

My question:

Can I use UNIX command kextutil to fix my problem or is there another way apart from a system install???

Thx, any help is appreciated.

😍

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (4th Gen), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:29 PM

5 replies

Nov 9, 2012 1:36 PM in response to dragonfly-jdenz

You should have uninstalled cleanmymac instead. Those 'utility apps' sort of belong in the Windows world, and Macs don't need them.

Can I use UNIX command kextutil to fix my problem or is there another way apart from a system install???

You need to replace IOStorageFamily.kext. You could replace it by extracting it from the Install DVD using an application like Pacifist but that is getting technical. Also. there may be other file corruption as well. If you don't want to get too technical reinstalling would be the easier path for you to rectify your Mac.

Nov 16, 2012 3:26 AM in response to dragonfly-jdenz

Copying extensions is not a good idea.

You will still get an error :not installed properly: even after replacing with original extensions.

🙂 PS: I solved my problem by restoring my system from a bootable flashdrive (8GB memory stick) with 10.6.2, of which I had a .dmg on my external HD.

😠 PPS: And CleanMyMac is uninstalled now as well. If you have to use this program, be careful to use the uninstall / remove binary feature, both can corrupt your system and apps.

Extension IOStorageFamily.kext corrupt after cleaning ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.