Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am not able to access old Time Machine backups after OS install.

Hi,

I recently did a fresh install of Mountain Lion. The system was getting sluggish from garbage collection, so I wiped it clean and started from scratch. Prior the install, I ran one last backup just in case. I went to restore some of my apps, like iWork '09, and I could not find any backups prior to my install dates. I can see the files when I open up my Time Capsule with Finder. But I cannot restore them using Time Machine.

I tried dragging the iWorks programs over to the Applications folder, but the applications crash (Pages 4.2, Numbers 5.2, and Keynote 2.2). I then tried going into the App Store and reinstalling them from my Purchases list. All of my store bought purchase are there, but the iWork ones. Which is odd, because they were updated from the App Store program after I dragged them over.

The iWork programs I need from the backup. Everything else is backed up in iCloud, iTunes, and the App Store. I really need to get Pages up and running again. Does anyone know what to do? All else is irrelevant.

Time Capsule 802.11n (1st Gen), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:18 PM

4 replies

Nov 9, 2012 1:30 PM in response to IamBorg

If you installed iWork apps from a DVD, you need to use that DVD and reinstall the apps. Then update iWork to current using Software Update. There are other components from the DVD that need to be installed. I tried the same thing once and realized I had to reinstall and not restore from a TM backup.

If you purchased the iWork apps from the App Store, you should be able to redownload and install these again. If the download button is greyed out, make sure your TM back up and/or clone drive is unmounted. Otherwise, the App Store will see this and think the apps are already installed.

I am not able to access old Time Machine backups after OS install.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.