Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using band instrument staff styles, but still stays in concert pitch.

I have written a band arrangement in Logic Pro 9 that includes trumpet, saxes, clarinet, and other instruments not in concert pitch. Thanks to previous community postings, I assigned what I believe are the proper staff styles. For example, at the bottom of the display parameter(?) box for a baritone sax part, it says "Bariton Sax" next to "Style." (This is located right under No Transpose and No Reset boxes).

However, when I look at the score, it's still in concert pitch. Is this a glitch with the program, or is there something else I need to do? (BTW I have the latest 9.1.8 update). I'm working on deadline for a holiday program and would REALLY appreciate some help.

Thanks!

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:57 PM

Change the staff styles at the top of the Region Inspector when the Score Editor has focus. It's the first item below the downward twirled arrow.

4 replies

Nov 9, 2012 11:37 PM in response to CC#11

THANKS! Wow, that really made a difference! This is a life saver. This is a huge load off my mind.

Am still learning stuff about the different key signatures for wind instruments (makes sense), and will likely have to create my own scale set for clarinet and such, but hopefully I can figure that out from here.

You have done a major good deed, IMO. Thanks again!!

Nov 10, 2012 6:41 AM in response to HarlanSpeare

You're very welcome.

Words of wisdom learned from Doug Zangar are to Duplicate and rename any staff styles that you use so that tweaking say Treble for one instrument doesn't mess up the appearance of a different instrument using the same Treble staff style.

To make a Bb clarinet, just Duplicate Trumpet in Bb, then rename it Clarinet in Bb. Staff styles are saved with the project. You can use the File>Project Settings>Import Project Settings to load them in a new project. But it's better to create them in a template so that they're always ready to go.

Nov 10, 2012 8:02 AM in response to HarlanSpeare

Hi

HarlanSpeare wrote:

I assigned what I believe are the proper staff styles. For example, at the bottom of the display parameter(?) box for a baritone sax part, it says "Bariton Sax" next to "Style." (This is located right under No Transpose and No Reset boxes).

However, when I look at the score, it's still in concert pitch.

For reference, this parameter box will assign the desired Staff Style to any regions recorded subsequently. It will not change any pre-existing regions, as you have found.

The trick would be to set up all the tracks with the desired styles assigned, then save it as a template.

CCT

Using band instrument staff styles, but still stays in concert pitch.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.