Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen with computer working

Hello,

I've an iMac mid 2011, 27''.

I got an issue that couldn't figure it out, even testing a lot from what a read on the internet!

It has started as blinking screen, going from dark (not complete black) to normal bright... witch lasted seconds blinking fast.

Then from a few month to here, the screen completely blanks out with the computer working fine... if connect to a TV, i can it working and test every thing...

Now every time i turn the computer on, i need to do a PRAM reset...

At start up, the gray screen most times blinks from dark gray to light gray, with no prompt sound and before the computer finish loading the screen goes black again!

Thx in anticipation!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:19 PM

2 replies

Nov 13, 2012 6:32 AM in response to BDAqua

Sorry for not answering sooner, and thx for the reply BDAqua!

Can't see the faint desktop, it really seams that only the display is off...

Another think to notice is that when I'm reinstalling the software (mountain lion, always updated, and the problem had started with OS 10.7) or try in find a hardware problem (with the Command + D hardware test, that takes almost 1 h to complete, with my 2tb hd) the display never seems to turn off...

I really can't figure out, but some time i suspect a HD problem, because of it's noise and since i had problems with it before...

Thx again!

Black screen with computer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.