Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to retouch (repair/clone) a BMP file and nothing happens

I have been using Aperture for a long time now, and am used to using repair and clone.

Today, I tried to clean up an area of a photo which is in BMP format, and clone does absolutely nothing.

Repair leaves a white path where I drag across the image. The white path disappears when I use repair again, and another white path appears.

Switching views (use "v"), brings me back to the image with absolutely no changes, and no white paths.

I have chosen radius = 11, softness = 0, and opacity is maxed at 1.

Any ideas?

Aperture 3

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 3:35 PM

As far as I remember BMP files are not supported in Aperture. Actually surprised to hear that you can do anything with a file of that format in Aperture.

From the specification page:

File Formats

Native RAW import and editing of images from leading digital cameras and camera backs
(See RAW support page for model listing.)

.ARW, .CR2, .CRW, .MOS, .NEF, .RAF, .RAW, .SRW, .TIF, .OLY, .FFF, .3FR, .DNG1

Compatible with all major still image formats

JPEG, GIF, TIFF, PNG, PDF, PSD2

Notice no BMP.

I believe you might be able to convert it to JPG in Preview. If not do a web search.

regards

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2012 3:35 PM in response to John Kitchen

As far as I remember BMP files are not supported in Aperture. Actually surprised to hear that you can do anything with a file of that format in Aperture.

From the specification page:

File Formats

Native RAW import and editing of images from leading digital cameras and camera backs
(See RAW support page for model listing.)

.ARW, .CR2, .CRW, .MOS, .NEF, .RAF, .RAW, .SRW, .TIF, .OLY, .FFF, .3FR, .DNG1

Compatible with all major still image formats

JPEG, GIF, TIFF, PNG, PDF, PSD2

Notice no BMP.

I believe you might be able to convert it to JPG in Preview. If not do a web search.

regards

Trying to retouch (repair/clone) a BMP file and nothing happens

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.