Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't use Photoshop - looking for software with similar functionality to Photoshop's Pixelbender / Oil Painting. Any suggestions?

I don't use Photoshop, I'm an Aperture guy.

I'm looking for software with similar functionality to Photoshop's Pixelbender / Oil Painting.

I'm especially interested in the bending of the pixels, along the lines of impressionist paintings - think van Gogh.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:12 PM

Photoshop and Aperture don't really compete.

That said, perhaps you want to look at something like Acorn or Pixelmator, which are like Photoshop but about 1/15 the price, and with more approachable user interfaces. Both are available on the Mac App Store.

2 replies

Nov 10, 2012 12:08 AM in response to Steve from Albuquerque

If you are interested in computer simulated drawing and painting effects, have a look at the "ToonIt!" plug-in for Aperture. This will do some of the basic work for you, but you will have to do quite a lot of editing afterwards, to turn the image into a piece of art.

It might be easier, to do most of the drwing and painting yourself in the first place - ArtRage Deluxe is very versatile, if you have a large trackpad and pen.

For example: Applying a light ToonIt! effect "Impressionist2": The diagonal

cross-pattern is due to "Demo" mode - I have not yet bought the plug-in - it is rather expensive:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The original:

User uploaded file

I don't use Photoshop - looking for software with similar functionality to Photoshop's Pixelbender / Oil Painting. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.