Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help! Itunes not working at all

Before you read this, I say that support did not help me solve this at all and that i have been trying every solution I can find. Okay, so first Itunes has been opening fine. About 3 months after installing it, I would sometimes get an error message saying that it has to close (this is before it even opens). Now, it does not open at all. It opens as an error window when i shut the computer off though. It says

<<<<<<<<<<<--d<<<<<<<<
Itunes has experienced an error and needs to close.
Send error report?

I have done virus and spyware scans and have gotten nothing that looks like it could hurt Itunes at all

And i've ordered at least 50 dollars of music off of the music store which it seems apple is saying "Well that *****, your problem" to me.

So guys, could any of you help me? I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

~Chris Diodato

Gateway Windows XP Itunes never works.

Posted on Apr 18, 2006 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2006 4:02 PM

hiya!

i don't know what you've tried already, so let's start from scratch with this one.

you're currently getting no error messages at all when you try to open itunes?

do you just see the wee hourglass for a few seconds, and then nothing? if so, do you also have Norton Internet Security 2005 installed on that PC?

or are you seeing a brief "flash" of the itunes license screen (and then nothing)? if so, do you also see similar behavior when you try to launch your QuickTime?

love, b
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2006 4:02 PM in response to midlifecrisis430

hiya!

i don't know what you've tried already, so let's start from scratch with this one.

you're currently getting no error messages at all when you try to open itunes?

do you just see the wee hourglass for a few seconds, and then nothing? if so, do you also have Norton Internet Security 2005 installed on that PC?

or are you seeing a brief "flash" of the itunes license screen (and then nothing)? if so, do you also see similar behavior when you try to launch your QuickTime?

love, b

Apr 18, 2006 4:23 PM in response to watergirl

watergirl, post a new thread and give us more info than its happening to me too. We need to know what Windows OS you are using, what security software you are using, what error number if any you are getting. Remember, when posting on a forum, we cannot physically see your computer, so you need to give us lots of info so we can help you better. 🙂
Post back and I will be happy to take a look at it.
Rachel

Apr 18, 2006 4:37 PM in response to Rachyl

Ok, Here goes.
I installed itunes and quicktime, downloaded one cd, sent it to ipod successfully, closed down computer. Later same day attempted to open itunes and received error below.
iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. Please tell Microsoft about this problem. We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous. To see what data this error report contains, click here. (no error number) When I do click on "click here" the information supplied is not helpful to me. It is very technical type info that if you really need to help solve this issue, I will be happy to get for you.
I've sent the report and am directed to apple.com/support. I have removed itunes and quicktime by using add/remove software and reinstalled, still no success. I've opened and emptied my temp file, deleted all of the iphotos and rebooted. I've used the restore function all the way back to last month with no success. I am using Windows XP with mcafee security.

Thanks for your interest in helping me and I hope I've given you enough info to give you an idea of what I am dealing with.

Interestingly enough, I have loaded the software successfully on my work laptop. Thanks again

Apr 18, 2006 4:57 PM in response to midlifecrisis430

I am having a similar problem with my itune program. It used to work fine...and then one day, the hour glass would come up....disappear for a second then come back up and then disappear for good. No error messages, no funky things going on - just i-tuneless.

This is my computer at work and, obviously, we are on a network. But...my coworkers have their i-tunes working fine.

Also, our antivirus is Symantec....

I did have alot of spyware on my computer...and at one point I downloaded and ran spybot....I'm wondering if this was the cause of it.

I've already uninstalled itunes and reinstalled it. I've removed spybot, etc....but to no avail.

I think something got screwed up at some point (maybe even by my own doing without me knowing....)

anyone?

Apr 18, 2006 5:05 PM in response to watergirl

iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

you might well have a different issue than Diodato then. (the time when you're getting that message is different from his, and that's usually a crucial difference.) the things i'm most inclined to try with your situation aren't likely to be relevant to his.

start a new thread, using the "Post New Topic" link at the top of the Topics List.

in that new thread, tell us the error message you're getting, when you're getting it, and whether not not your QuickTime currently launches fine, or whether you get an error message when you try to launch your QuickTime.

(the information about the QT is crucial in your case.)

love, b

Apr 18, 2006 5:21 PM in response to watergirl

Well, watergirl,
First of all, did iTunes just randomly stop working or did it not work after the install? Did you try Turning off McAfee prior to the download? A lot of times security software will bungle up the successful installation of iTunes and Quicktime. Did you attempt to download the Quicktime standalone to see if this resolved the issue? When you say you deleted all of the iPhotos, what in the world do you mean? You may want to use the Windows Install CleanUP Utility to help you remove iTunes and Quicktime if you are having trouble removing them. You can read about it here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
Turn off McAfee prior to downloading. If you are running if from the internet, save it to your harddrive and install it from there instead of running it over the Internet. See if this resolves. IF not, we will go from there.
Rachyl

PS. post a new thread next time though. That way I can deal with you one on one and you can give points in your own thread, whereas I cannot get credit for helping you when someone else posted this thread.

Apr 18, 2006 5:45 PM in response to midlifecrisis430

hi midlife!

Yes I do use norton internet security 2005. And I have been getting an hourglass and now window opening.

excellent. thanks for that! this is going to be an extremely long post.

okay. i think you've got something a bit unusual going on here. i think you might be getting two different problems happening at the same time.

the really exotic thing about your case is not the "error-message-free" itunes launch failure when you try to launch itunes. it's your getting the "itunes has encountered an error ..." message when you switch the PC off. that implies that your itunes is actually trying to launch, but it's being suppressed. (the likeliest candidate for what is causing the itunes suppression in your case is your Norton Internet Security 2005.)

when the suppression is lifted as you shut down the PC, itunes gets the chance to launch properly ... and then the second problem kicks in. that's most likely being caused by a broken QuickTime, but there are some other possible causes, too.

so first we're going to check on the NIS 2005 launch suppression. the aim here is to try to get you to the stage where your itunes gives you the "itunes has encountered an error ..." message when you try to launch your itunes. once we've got to that stage, we're going to check to see if you've got a broken QT, and try to deal with that.

Phase one: checking for NIS 2005 itunes launch suppression

I want you to try the Lorraine M technique from this post:

Lorraine M: NIS/itunes problem rectified

do you then start getting an "itunes has encountered ..." message when you try to launch itunes?

Phase two: what to do if you then start getting an error message when you try to launch itunes

Itunes has encountered a problem and needs to close

the first thing that i check for when people report getting that message when they try to launch their itunes is a broken QuickTime.

try to open your QuickTime. does it launch properly, or do you get an error message?

if you get an error message, the first thing we'll try is a careful standalone QT 7.0.4 reinstall.

download and save a copy of the QT 7.0.4 standalone installer to your hard drive. (we'll run the install from there rather than online.) switch off antivirus and antispyware applications prior to the install.

Quicktime 7.0.4 Standalone Installer

if that install goes through okay, does your itunes launch properly again?

(if you get an error message on the QT standalone reinstall, let us know what it says. include error message numbers if you're getting any.)

if you get the itunes has encountered error, but your QT is launching fine post back to let us know. we'll start exploring a few more possibilities.

love, b

Please help! Itunes not working at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.