0. In order to unlock screen highlight a # and double click it to enter, do this until screen is unlocked. Then highlight "settings"
1. Double tap screen to go into settings
2. use 3 fingers to (swipe) scroll down/up
3a. highlight reset, then double tap on the screen
3b Highlight accessiblity - voiceover - on/off
(There is also a voiceover pratice option in that accessbility menu)
It's in Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver 'off'.
According to the iPad manual you should also be able to switch voice-over off by connecting to your computer's iTunes :
Turn VoiceOver on or off in iTunes: Select iPad in the iTunes sidebar. In the Options section of the Summary pane, click Configure Universal Access. Select VoiceOver, then click OK.
So select Configure Universal Access at the bottom of the Summary tab and set Seeing to Neither
Turn off VoiceOver
1. Press the Home button
2. Tap Settings.
3. Then double-tap Settings.
4. Tap General.
5. Then double-tap General.
6. Use three fingers on the screen to scroll to Accessibility
7. Tap Accessibility.
8. Then double-tap Accessibility
9. Tap VoiceOver
10. Then double-tap VoiceOver.
11. Tap "On" next to VoiceOver
12. Then double-tap "On" to turn it off.