Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

java issue and Pearson Gradebook

I am having a difficult time with my PowerTeacher Gradebook launching and Java. I have researched the HECK out of it and can't seem to find a solution. My PowerTeacher wasn't launching and Java told me to update, so I did. Now it still won't launch. I have grades due on Tuesday and I am freaking out. There were some fixes I found online with removing Java 7, and reverting back to Java 6, that still didn't work. School is not a help because we are not a Mac district. Please help....someone.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 7:09 AM

10 replies

Feb 13, 2013 5:01 AM in response to blubell7877

I have been running this command to fix.

sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Delete :JavaWebComponentVersionMinimum" /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta. plist

Seems it deactivates itself after a period of inactivity. I am following up with command to make the file read only below.

sudo chmod 555 /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta. plist

sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Delete :JavaWebComponentVersionMinimum" /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta. plist

Feb 13, 2013 5:20 AM in response to eaglefan2000

Note that what you are suggesting would completely deactivate one important security feature of Mac OS X. If you choose to do that, you need to do so with full awareness of the consequences. If any internet plug-in becomes vulnerable and starts to be exploited by Mac malware, you will remain vulnerable.

Also, note that if Pearson Gradebook is still not compatible with the latest versions of Java, that's a very serious problem and shows a high degree of irresponsibility on the part of the company. Compromising your own security in order to continue to use it is not a good idea. You should find something else to replace it as soon as possible. I have used GradeKeeper before, and liked it pretty well.

http://www.gradekeeper.com/

Feb 13, 2013 6:05 AM in response to eaglefan2000

Both, although the former is only a temporary security risk (as it will eventually get updated again).

The real risk, though, is continuing to use an outdated version of Java in your web browser. This is extremely dangerous at this time, as there are a number of known Mac threats that install through Java vulnerabilities. If you keep Java updated - or, better yet, disabled entirely in the web browser - you are immune to the majority of current Mac malware.

Feb 13, 2013 6:39 AM in response to eaglefan2000

Oracle is responsible for Java, not Apple. Further, Oracle has already released updates that fix all currently known vulnerabilities (though, knowing Java, it's only a matter of time before someone finds more). The issue, as I understand it, is that Pearson's Java apps don't work with the current versions of Java, and they are solely responsible for that. Have you actually contacted Pearson about this, to see if they have a solution? This topic is several months old, and it's possible something has changed in that time.

If they still don't support current versions of Java, then that's a very serious security issue. If you are a school administrator or IT person, then that's something you need to address actively, rather than just waiting passively for a fix. If Pearson has not fixed it yet, they are not taking security seriously, and you should not be using their software. You should move away from using Pearson's web apps and transition to some other system. If it's a school-wide grading system that you're looking for, ProgressBook is quite good and does not require Java.

Oct 19, 2013 7:49 PM in response to eaglefan2000

I just recently started having trouble using my Pearson's powerteacher gradebook on my mac. I believe it was when I downloaded the updated version of java called java 7. I keep getting this message when I try to sign into my gradebook "blocked because the jar file manifest does not contain the permissions attribute. Please contact the publisher for more information. I also get "error: could not call start up start up." If you know how to fix this, please esplain step by step. Thanks so much.

java issue and Pearson Gradebook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.