Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xcode version 4.2.1 required - Cannot Install, OS X 10.8 Too New

There is a reason why I need an Xcode version eariler than 4.3..

I need to install some programs supplied by my university that make use of GIMP toolkit libraries (http://www.gtk.org) for the UI.

GTK has certain prerequisites though, one of which being: I need Xcode installed.

This would be all very well, but GTK contains a Python program called jhbuild which looks for the Xcode GCC Compiler in: /usr/bin and the SDK in /Developer.

Now, am I correct in thinking that the /Developer folder no longer exists for currect versions of Xcode? (version 4.3 +)

That would mean that I'd have to install an eariler version.

After downloading Xcode 4.2.1, I tried installing it to be given an error: 'Xcode can't be installed because the version of OS X is too new.'

So, I don't suppose anyone would know of a solution to this?

Cheers, Jonathon

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 9:12 AM

1 reply

Nov 10, 2012 10:01 AM in response to Jon_d2

Read the following, and see if the following steps eliminate the need for an earlier Xcode.

Make sure you have updated to OS X 10.8.2 (including supplement).

Install Xcode 4.5.2 from App Store.

From Xcode 4.5.2 preferences > Downloads > Components, Install the Command Line Tools.

(This puts the compilation environment in the expected /usr/bin location.)

Now, resolve /Developer with a hard link:

sudo ln /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer /Developer

sudo chown root:wheel /Developer

I cannot promise that the GTK jhbuild won't be checking for other dependencies that the above steps do not correct.

In your startup file, you should add the following to your PATH: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin

Xcode version 4.2.1 required - Cannot Install, OS X 10.8 Too New

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.