Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3G "There is no sim card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate"

I recently tried to update my iPhone 3G Firmware (4.2.1), but unfortunately after the successful update, my phone displayed a USB cable guided by an arrow towards the iTunes logo. I have seen this before and understand it basically means I have messed up. A few years ago I jailbroke the iPhone and made the same mistake and got the same result. However, this time the phone was not jailbroken, simply internationally unlocked.

To make the analysis simpler:

Phone features:

- NOT Jailbroken

- Internationally unlocked

- Firmware 4.2.1

- Non responsive Home button

As you can see, my Home button is broken and therefore, I cannot enter DFU mode in any way. On the other hand, I live outside of the US and thus have no access to an original AT&T sim card.

Now, my main question would be: Can someone help with this issue so that I can fix it myself (saving me a considerable sum)?

I have created an ENTER DFU .iswf file but cannot use iTunes to Recover the phone because it simply displays the message given above in the title of this discussion. (This would be the scenario where I Jailbreak the phone)

Ps. I am happy that Apple try to keep their consumers as close to the company as they can however, sometimes I do wish some 'un-apple' ways to repair their products could be used without feeling guilt of having 'cheated the system'

iPhone 3G, iOS 4.2

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:41 AM

4 replies

Nov 10, 2012 10:52 AM in response to mtbdhbiker

Did you request the iPhone being unlocked with AT&T which was approved by AT&T followed by receiving an email when the unlocking process was ready which is done by restoring the iPhone with iTunes?

If not, the iPhone was hacked to be unlocked. If the iPhone was unlocked officially, you wouldn't need the AT&T SIM card that was used with the iPhone when it was activated with AT&T.

If you have a non-responsive home button - it is broken, you cannot place the iPhone into DFU mode. If you don't have the SIM card that was used with the iPhone when it was activated, you can't complete the restore process or iOS update install process.

Nov 10, 2012 11:00 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Hi Allan,

Thanks for asking, I knew I had forgotten to mention something. The phone was indeed unofficially unlocked, since there were no apple stores or even premium resellers in the region I lived in during the given procedure had to be done.

I understand this could be a further complication, especially the fact the home button does not work. However, I was wondering if there would be a possibility to use a third-party application instead of iTunes to restore the iPhone? IF someone does know of such an application, I could easily solve further problems myself. Basically, the main issue here is my lack of ability to enter DFU mode.

Nov 10, 2012 1:11 PM in response to Allan Sampson

On that note, I would like to remind you to search a bit harder and give a more detailed explanation of your simplistic answer 'no'. I have indeed found a third-party application called idevicerestore which, is supposed to work once compiled (something I still need to learn). Therefore, I have saved myself $10 worth of fuel and $30 repair payment. Hopefully this helps others who are unfortunate enough to come accross such an absolutely ridiculous problem...

Cheers,

Florian

iPhone 3G "There is no sim card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.