Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dial up internet access?

I have a 17" MBPro (2.3 GHz Intel Core i7) using Mountain Lion 10.8.2. On my last MBPro, I was able to access the internet using dial up when travelling to places where only a phone line was available. The Apple external travel modem I used was a model number MA034 (USB connection). When plugging that dial up modem into this newer computer with ML, I get a prompt that says essentially "you cannot use an Apple USB modem with this computer."

Do I have any way of connecting to the internet with this computer and ML? I've used a dial up ISP on a temporary basis for travel in the past with no problems (except that it is so predictably slow!).

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:18 AM

11 replies

Nov 10, 2012 11:37 AM in response to TwoRaleys

No, I haven't checked...and only because the on-screen message was very clear that I could not use an Apple USB modem with this computer.

**** A quick addendum: just ran a search on Apple and they state that USB modems are not compatible with Lion or later, which still leaves me with the question of how to use dial up with this computer and ML.

Message was edited by: TwoRaleys

Nov 10, 2012 11:52 AM in response to TwoRaleys

Frankly, I was hoping not to have to pay Apple Care to answer what I hoped was a fairly common and/or easy question, particularly since there are so many knowledgeable people here in these discussion groups (this computer is now out of warranty and I did not buy Apple Care for it).

Hopefully someone who has run into this before will respond, but thank you for your responses and for trying to help me out.

Nov 10, 2012 11:57 AM in response to TwoRaleys

TwoRaleys wrote:

Frankly, I was hoping not to have to pay Apple Care to answer what I hoped was a fairly common and/or easy question,

As you were afraid of, the Apple USB Modem no longer works with Lion or any of its descendants:

What Macintosh computers are compatible with the Apple USB modem?

The Apple USB modem requires Mac OS X v10.4.3 through Mac OS X v10.6.8 running in 32 bit mode. If your Mac has an earlier version of Mac OS X v10.4, upgrade your computer's operating system using Apple Downloads orSoftware Update.

Important: The Apple USB modem is not supported with OS X Lion or later.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3152

😟

Apple abandoned its longsuffering dialup users a long time ago.

Nov 10, 2012 12:05 PM in response to John Galt

If you were to somehow acquire an old (and rare) AirPort Extreme Base Station with dialup modem, you could carry that along with you and it would serve as a way to create a wireless link to a dialup ISP.

This solution gets ugly quickly though, in that the old AEBS cannot be configured with any version of AirPort Utility that runs with Mountain Lion, nor can its dialup modem be controlled by selecting the AirPort menulet as in Snow Leopard (I think) or earlier. It could only work if the AEBS were already configured with the dialup phone number, set to connect automatically, and nothing else got in the way of an ISP connection.

As workarounds go that's about as bad as it gets.

Nov 10, 2012 12:53 PM in response to John Galt

Hi again, John. I just spoke with OWC and after a few minutes of research they said that drivers are not available for the modem that would make it usable with Lion or ML. On this next trip, I guess we're stuck with having to drive 30 miles to a place with wi-fi availability if we want to access the internet. 😟

Thank you very much for the ideas and the suggestions, but it looks like we're out of luck.

Dial up internet access?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.