Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing DV footage without breaks

Hi, I'm trying to import an old finished movie that's on a DV tape into FCPX 10.0.6 but during import it keeps creating a new clip for every cut.

Is there a way to stop this and have it import as just one single clip?

Thanks!

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:42 PM

15 replies

Nov 27, 2012 9:19 PM in response to saddact

Hi saddact - it's interesting how users differ on their workflow and needs. I am absolutely rapt that FCPX actually imports with breaks where clips start and end. FC Express (and it seems FC Pro 7) never did, instead importing in a continuous unbroken stream. I then had to create a sub-clip system to get near what I wanted. It is much easier to delete unwanted, blemished or duplicated clips this way, without the need to cut. What is the problem you see with importing as individual clips?

Nov 28, 2012 3:07 AM in response to saddact

For this case it was a finished fully edited movie we made almost ten years ago and my only master copy was one that I had recorded back onto Mini DV tape at the time. I had no master QuickTime saved from that time so when I wanted to import the film as it is I wanted it to be just one long clip as no editing was necessary. The import cutting into separate clips on every single cut of the film made it just awkward.

If I was importing footage to edit with then yeah I would of course want that to be separated on import.

Jan 1, 2015 1:32 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hey iv just got a quick question in relation to logging mini dv tapes into FCPX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaSCvkNpNOs&feature=youtu.be

This link shows whats going on..... its like drop frames and the audio goes all distorted, iv tried imovie, premiere and still does it, iv tried different cables cleaned the heads on the camera, recently tried different audio sample rates as well .......

just not sure ..... Is it the camera?

Importing DV footage without breaks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.