Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X Mtn Lion...SSH client is not working

I just bought my first MacBook yesterday. Today I'm finding out there may be an issue with SSH in the terminal. I'm just trying to simply SSH to a remote server. I did a debug on the ssh. SSH makes an established connection but never prompts me for a password. In the verbose, no errors. I've looked this up on other sites and there have been work arounds but none of them worked.

If anyone else has had issues using the simple ssh client built in the OS, please let me know. A $2400 laptop should be able to do this just fine.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 2:52 PM

5 replies

Nov 10, 2012 7:19 PM in response to daemon_luv

Its not with the SSH client....my bad. there is some kind of incompatibility or the way they authentication is not being handled. I logged into another SSH Server just fine. One was a FreeBSD server (failing one) and a CentOS 5.8 server. The FreeBSD server is running OpenSSH 5.8 and the CentOS is running 4.3. I made the config files match exactly and it still doesnt work. Not having any luck with the SSH 5.8 server.

my ssh -vvv debug....

debug1: Connecting to localhost [::1] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /Users/Kyle.Welsby/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /Users/Kyle.Welsby/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug1: identity file /Users/Kyle.Welsby/.ssh/id_dsa type -1

(stops at above...then times out and the below shows)

ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

Nov 11, 2012 6:31 AM in response to Linc Davis

Yea sorry, that was the wrong output. I'm connecting to a remote SSH server, not my localhost. I do not have SSH server service on my Mac running so "sudo sshd -t" will not prove anything.

But the error message is the same as above with my remote host. I'm going to turn up a FreeBSD vm and test the SSH server config. Its nothing to do with the SSH client on my Mac as I can connect to other SSH servers just fine.

I've tried various SSH authentication types for this service including forcing my keys but that doesnt work either so I'm a lil baffled.

Mac OS X Mtn Lion...SSH client is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.