Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX File Formats that can be Imported

Can someone please tell me what video file formats can be imported into FCPX? I am making a video of footage from many different sources and I need to know if I should convert them first or if FCPX will accept them as they are. For example, flv, mov, etc.

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 4:37 PM

Hereare the formats that APple says are supported.

Russ

14 replies

Nov 11, 2012 10:48 AM in response to serenity99

serenity99 wrote:

… What is the difference between mp4 and mov and why is one better than the other?

for a start ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_container_format

to confuse you even more:

.mp4 is a wrapper

mpeg-4 is a codec ...

mpeg4 could be inside a .mov or a .mp4

and the famous h.264-codec could be inside a .mov or .mp4

on AppleOS, I would suggest .mov as wrapper, and for usage in FCPX an intermediate codec such as proRes ...

for delivery, h.264 inside .mp4 is 'more universal'.-

final confusion: .mts (such in AVCHD) is another container … for h.264.

Nov 11, 2012 3:33 PM in response to Russ H

Audio formats

Container formats

• 3GP
  • AVI
  • MP4

These shouldn't be here. You can get away with the compressed audio formats in some circumstances, but will causes problems in other. They also cause major problems when imbedded in video. The video formats work if the media is optimized, which is like saying it's converted. The problem with 3GP and MP4 is that even if they're optimized they don't work well as the usually have compressed audio, which optimizing won't fix.

Nov 11, 2012 3:46 PM in response to serenity99

If you have to convert the WMV file *anyway* -- you might as well go straight to ProRes 4444, 422(HQ), 422, or LT. Blow off any intermediary formats.

ALL MPEG formats are compressed (lossy). ProRes IS a compression, but "virtually" lossless. FCPX is a "native speaker" of ProRes... It just stands to reason not to step on the original more than is necessary.

MP4 (mpeg-4) is "old and lousy." H.264 IS an mpeg-4, BUT it is a newer ("new and improved!") and better delivery format (none better, IMO, so far -- it's also the codec that gets Apple's and Google's/YouTube's "seal of approval".)

.mov is a quicktime file. A Quicktime file can be any compatible codec that it can read (ProRes, Animation, MP4, H.264, DV, DVCPro, Photo JPEG, PNG, etc., etc... as long as the codecs are installed) "MOV" doesn't necessarily have any specific meaningfulness other than it will play in the Quicktime and compatible applications (including FCPX). A MOV can also be an audio only file, by way of an example of being just a container. A MOV can also contain text tracks, masks, and sprites.

FCPX File Formats that can be Imported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.