Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic 8 multiple HD setup questions...

So I recently upgraded from my 2009 24" imac to a mac pro.

Ive got a 120GB SSD on the mac pro as the OS & applications drive. All other media & documents will be stored on other drives.

What I would like to know is the best way to set up logic for optimal recording with multiple HDs. I was once told that the ideal way to record

is to have you application on the main drive, & second drive as the tracking drive, & a third drive for pulling loops & samples.

Is this correct?

If so, I haven't installed logic onto the mac pro yet & was wondering if there were any tips on setting it up as mentioned above?

I'm guessing all my apple loops will want to be installed onto the 3rd loops & samples drive?

Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated! 🙂

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 6:24 PM

2 replies

Nov 11, 2012 6:43 PM in response to DJstylus

I would agree with those suggestions.. especially as you are using a Mac Pro and all the drives could be located internally. Just make sure any drives you add are at a minimum, 7200rpm drives and not those of the 'green' variety as they automatically 'go to sleep' and 'park the heads' causing possible delays and general slowness in responding to access calls from Logic.

If you are considering external HDs... Do not use Ext USB2 drives for such purposes... Again, they are too slow for these purposes and are really only useful for backup purposes. Ext FW800/USB3/eSATA 7200rpm non green drives are the best solutions.

Fianlly, do not partition your drives as partitioning makes the drives work harder than they do when not partitioned... and again, this would induce a general slugginess to your system.

Hope this helps...

Logic 8 multiple HD setup questions...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.