Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no audio in iDVD when created by iMovie ??

Hello, I am new to iMovie and iDVD.

Following a manual's instructions, having made a DVD in iMovie, I commanded share>iDVD and waited 2 hours for iDVD to open with this project (which seems too long?), but the movie has no audio at all....

The original footage was MP4 from a Flip video camera.

Can anyone explain what is wrong and how to correct this? Thanks, Andy

iDVD '08, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 6:53 PM

3 replies

Nov 10, 2012 11:57 PM in response to captain kidd

Hi

There are several things to this

• Video Codec used - .mp4 is no specific video-codec but a Container (sort of folder) and can hold codecs iMovie can use or CAN NOT.

open the .mp4 file with QuickTime-Player - then

open Inspector [cmd+I] and read

- Video Codec/Format : nnnnnnnnnnnnn

- Frame Rate : YYYYYYYYYYYY

What does it say

• Then - How You go from iMovie to iDVD matters !

- I never use "Share to iDVD" as resulting DVD will lose lot's of quality

- I do - "Share to Media Browser" and as Large OR Medium (Never HD or other resolution as this too degrades the final DVD (downscaling is done badly)

- Large or Medium matters and sometimes Large result's to me in partial audio loss - so Medium is a safer resolution.

- I Always - Save as a DiskImage - Test this with DVD-player tool - then use Disk Util tool to burn it to DVD

I always

• set down burn speed to x4 or less = less burn errors = plays better and on more devices

• use High Quality DVDs - only Verbatim for me

• DVD-R - never DVD+/-RW or DVD+R - as the first usually don't work and the latter only on newer DVD-players

• SL-DVD - not DL-DVDs - my personal problem with my Macs inabillity to like these

Yours Bengt W

Nov 11, 2012 2:59 PM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Thanks Bengt,

In reply to you, when I

open the .mp4 file with QuickTime-Player - then

open Inspector [cmd+I] and read, I get:

AVC Coding, 640 x 480, Millions

AAC, Stereo (L R), 44, 100 kHz

and

FPS 30

among other things, but nowhere does it say

- Video Codec/Format : nnnnnnnnnnnnn

or

- Frame Rate : YYYYYYYYYYYY

I read that iDVD can only recognise 16 bit audio. I don't know what my audio is, or how I change it if at all possible.

I will try your aadvice about "Share to Media Browser", although when I began it yesterday it said it would take 25 hours!!! so I aborted.

I got a Mac becasue I was led to beleive that these things were easier and smoother than Windows!!??

Yours, Andy

AVC Coding, 640 x 480, Millions

AAC, Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz

Nov 12, 2012 11:02 PM in response to captain kidd

although when I began it yesterday it said it would take 25 hours!!! so I aborted.

A. iDVD - does this calculation very bad - can be much less (and even much more). I don't look at it.

B. When things goes ridiculously slow it use to be due to (for me)

• Less than 25Gb free space on START-UP Hard Disk (others do not count)

• using material iDVD or iMovie can't use as is e.g. video-codecs, audio and photo file formats

TO GET IT TO WORK SLIGHTLY FASTER

• Minimum of 25Gb free space on Start-Up hard disk

• No other programs running in BackGround e.g. Energy-Saver

• Don’t let HD spin down or be turned off (in Energy-Save)

• Move hard disks that are not to be used to Trash - To be disconnected/turned off

• Goto Spotlight and set the rest of them under Integrity (not to be scanned)

• Set screen-saver to a folder without any photo - then make an active corner (up right for me) and set

pointer to this - turns on screen saver - to show that it has nothing to show

• No File Vault on - Important

• NO - TimeMachine - during iMovie/iDVD work either ! IMPORTANT

• Lot's of icons on DeaskTop/Finder also slows down the Mac noticeably

• Start a new User-Account and log into this and iMovie get's faster too - if a project is in a hurry

• And let Mac run on Mains - not just on battery

BTW - I try to not Panic/Force Quit as much possibly - as this build up small errors in pref files and elsewhere to finally result in a Major Disaster.

Yours Bengt W

no audio in iDVD when created by iMovie ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.