Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Upgrade from 10.4.11 to 10.5.4

Have an iMac with intel processor 1.83 GHz, 512MB memory, version 10.4.11. Trying to upgrade using 10.5.4 using Install Discs from other computer but message says the software can not be installed on this computer. Not sure why not.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 7:52 PM

3 replies

Nov 10, 2012 7:58 PM in response to ianddvm

That's because you cannot use installer discs from a different computer. If you wish to upgrade to Leopard, then you need to buy a retail copy on eBay or Amazon.com or searching Google for a vendor. Or you can also purchase and install Snow Leopard, although you will first need to erase the drive. You will also need to make a backup of your Tiger system. And you will need to upgrade your RAM from 512 MBs to 1 or 2 GBs.

You can purchase Snow Leopard by contacting Customer Service: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes international calling numbers. The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will receive physical media - DVD - by mail.

Third-party sources for Snow Leopard are:

Snow Leopard from Amazon.com

Snow Leopard from eBay

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store.

Snow Leopard General requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel processor

2. 1GB of memory

3. 5GB of available disk space

4. DVD drive for installation

5. Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

6. Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Nov 10, 2012 8:26 PM in response to ianddvm

Leopard requirements/10.5.x...

* Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor

minimum system requirements

* 512MB of memory (I say 1.5GB for PPC at least, 2-3GB minimum for IntelMacs)

* DVD drive for installation

* 9GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)

Classic/OS9 Apps no longer supported.

Trouble is Apple no longer sells it, check eBay & such for the Retail version, not the Gray Discs...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mac+os+x+leopard+retail+10.5

Snow Leopard/10.6.x Requirements...

General requirements

* Mac computer with an Intel processor

* 1GB of memory (I say 4GB at least, more if you can afford it)

* 5GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)

* DVD drive for installation

* Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

* Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Which apps work with Mac OS X 10.6?...

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

It's been pulled from the online store & Apple Stores, so you have to call Apple to buy it, last I heard.

Call Apple Sales...in the US: 1-800-MY-APPLE. Or Support... 1-800-275-2273

Other countries...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

Can't Upgrade from 10.4.11 to 10.5.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.