Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Valid Apple ID but not an Icloud account

I have downloaded iCloud onto my PC and when I try to sign in the following message appears 'This is a valid Apple ID but not an iCloud account.' What can I do? Thanks.

iCloud-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 3:32 AM

58 replies

Jan 15, 2013 7:46 AM in response to mende1

....some software developers are so smart that they become stupid in the process....I have a valid apple ID but iCloud complains, "your ID is a valid Apple ID but it's not an iCloud account." So, when I go to download the iCloud file to set up iCloud on my computer, the file is about 45MB. I finally get the file downloaded and installed exactly the way Apple said to do it and then the software STILL complains that my Apple ID is not an iCloud account--with no further instructions about how to GET an iCloud account....you're correct, Apple has a long way to go before it's integrity reaches up to the level of 'amateur' regarding their software instructions being user friendly...

Jan 15, 2013 8:17 AM in response to ilovejesus33563

ilovejesus33563 wrote:

....some software developers are so smart that they become stupid in the process....I have a valid apple ID but iCloud complains, "your ID is a valid Apple ID but it's not an iCloud account." So, when I go to download the iCloud file to set up iCloud on my computer, the file is about 45MB. I finally get the file downloaded and installed exactly the way Apple said to do it and then the software STILL complains that my Apple ID is not an iCloud account--with no further instructions about how to GET an iCloud account....you're correct, Apple has a long way to go before it's integrity reaches up to the level of 'amateur' regarding their software instructions being user friendly...

In simple terms then, you can not create a new iCloud account on a PC and an Apple ID is NOT an iCloud account.

Use a Mac or an iPhone etc to open the account, then (and only then) can you sign into it on a PC.

Feb 14, 2013 3:41 PM in response to Csound1

That can't seriously be true?! Then why the **** sell us laptops with it already installed...I have an Apple ID and use iTunes, but don't have an iPhone or iPod/Pad etc....so basically unless I invest in one of them it's completely pointless?!!

Hmm typical Apple though, wanting Monopoly over the world! 😟

Thanks though, at least now I can stop trying! Wish I'd known this a long time ago too lol x

Feb 14, 2013 4:08 PM in response to SNCasey1988

SNCasey1988 wrote:

That can't seriously be true?! Then why the **** sell us laptops with it already installed...I have an Apple ID and use iTunes, but don't have an iPhone or iPod/Pad etc....so basically unless I invest in one of them it's completely pointless?!!

1. Windows machines DO NOT come with iCloud, it wasn't sold to you that way, you (or someone with access to your PC) installed it.

2. You can use iCloud on a PC if you want, you just can't create a NEW iCloud account on a PC.

3. Without any other iCloud device what use is a system that syncs iCloud devices to you, you can't sync any machine with itself.

Feb 17, 2013 10:18 AM in response to Csound1

Hi ,thanks for your reply - and yes, thinking back they gave me a disc for iCloud so I did install it.

In response to "3. Without any other iCloud device what use is a system that syncs iCloud devices to you, you can't sync any machine with itself.", I was under the impression that the files were stored on an external server, so even though I don't have an iPod/iPhone etc, if my laptop was to be broken beyond repair or stolen, iCloud would be a kind of back-up server for me so I wouldn't lose my photos and important audio files. Is this not the case?

Thanks, Sophie

Feb 17, 2013 10:22 AM in response to SNCasey1988

SNCasey1988 wrote:

Hi ,thanks for your reply - and yes, thinking back they gave me a disc for iCloud so I did install it.

It doesn't come on disk either, what did you actually do?

In response to "3. Without any other iCloud device what use is a system that syncs iCloud devices to you, you can't sync any machine with itself.", I was under the impression that the files were stored on an external server, so even though I don't have an iPod/iPhone etc, if my laptop was to be broken beyond repair or stolen, iCloud would be a kind of back-up server for me so I wouldn't lose my photos and important audio files. Is this not the case?

Thanks, Sophie

iCloud is not a backup system for your PC, pick something else (Carbonite, SugarSync etc)

Feb 17, 2013 11:02 AM in response to Csound1

Oh right, okay will look into those instead then, thanks.

Well it was nearly a year ago and I've moved to Spain since so don't have the stuff with me. I remember now, it was a disc case shaped cardboard info booklet thing and I thought there would be a disc in it, but it just had useful links and stuff I think. I'm pretty sure iCloud was always there on my laptop, in Control Panel from day one.

It was one of the best laptops available at the time (last March) so maybe they didn't come with it installed before then but do now? So I thought I'd be able to use it same as anyone else - because 5gb comes free with iCloud doesn't it? Which would cover about 2/3 of my photos...

Feb 17, 2013 11:08 AM in response to SNCasey1988

SNCasey1988 wrote:

Oh right, okay will look into those instead then, thanks.

Well it was nearly a year ago and I've moved to Spain since so don't have the stuff with me. I remember now, it was a disc case shaped cardboard info booklet thing and I thought there would be a disc in it, but it just had useful links and stuff I think. I'm pretty sure iCloud was always there on my laptop, in Control Panel from day one.

No it was not, and it was never available on disc, and it did not even exist a year ago, give up on this, you are wrong.

Simply put your PC is not being backed up, if you want it to be (and you should) pick a backup system and use it. iCloud is not a backup system.

Feb 17, 2013 11:41 AM in response to Csound1

Look, fair enough about the back-up system thing, but I am not wrong.

SImple fact is, I bought this laptop last March, and I had iCloud last March. Without all my paperwork as it is in England, I can't remember if it was a disc or just an info booklet, but either way I had it - Curries offered to set everything up for me but I wasn't going to pay for something I could do myself.

I'd find an article to prove that it was about then, but it's probably against forum rules to link to other websites...

I'd definitely research my dates if I were you for future discussions, but thanks for your help anyway.

Sophie

'Valid Apple ID but not an Icloud account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.