Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i need security software

do i need a security software for my mac

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 5:37 AM

25 replies

Nov 11, 2012 5:52 AM in response to Alan House

Many advanced Users will say no, pointing out all the builtin security features that Mountain Lion contains, IF they are all activated (Firewall, etc.) And 3rd party AntiVirus software can tend to slow down your system a little, since its always running in the background. That being said, if you still would feel safer running something, ClamXAV is recommended in these Forums by some often and it is Free:

http://www.clamxav.com

Hope this helps 🙂

Nov 11, 2012 6:09 AM in response to Alan House

As long as you practice good security habits (use secure passwords, recommended security settings, avoid scams, download only from reputable sites), probably not. And antivirus software which constantly monitors can slow your system. See some info here and here.

Most ISPs already scan for malware, so the danger of passing something along to other users is low.

Nov 11, 2012 8:21 AM in response to Alan House

Yes, in my opinion. It's a religous thing as you can tell in this forum. Although there aren't many viruses and malware on the Mac, an AV package might prevent transfering something to one of your Windoz friends thru email. Most AV software is signature based; so if it's a known vulnerability then you're covered. I use Intego Virus Barrier 6. It also has anomaly detection features built-in which is better than you might get from other vendors; including the free ones.

Nov 11, 2012 8:53 AM in response to Alan House

so the (clamxav) is the best security software for mac

It is one of them. It's hard to pick an absolute best, because that depends on your needs, but the only ones I would recommend at this point in time are ClamXav and Sophos, as drdocument already said.

and mackeeper it's not good software for mac

Just to be clear, MacKeeper is NOT a virus, as has been claimed. It is definitely not related to the (now extinct) MacDefender family of malware. MacDefender variants were also named MacProtector, MacSecurity, MacGuard and MacShield, but not MacKeeper.

That said, MacKeeper is definitely to be avoided, for many reasons. See Beware MacKeeper, which only details some of them.

do i need security software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.