Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

shut down or just close the lid

Im a new Macbook Pro user. Do i need to shut down every thime im finished using my macbook pro, or just shut the lid. If i just shut the lid what power state will this put the macbook into? Im keen to make the most of my battery life.

Many thanks

Steph

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 4:51 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

If you're going to use the Mac in a short time, close the lid. Shut down your Mac only when you aren't going to use it for some days

5 replies

Nov 18, 2012 10:26 PM in response to aikanae1

I keep my MBP running for weeks sometime between true shutdowns. When you close the lid, your computer just goes into sleep mode, ready to be up and running when you open the lid. You can alternately put it to sleep without closing the lid. It's really not necessary to power down your computer that often - sleep mode works just fine for most people. The battery shouldn't be affected much at all - and it won't deteriorate while sleeping.

I do try to make it a habit to restart every week or so - but sometimes it's a couple of weeks. It's just easier on the computer as a whole to let it sleep than to start and restart daily.

Clinton

Oct 22, 2014 5:21 PM in response to sparklysteph1987

Hi, i have a Macbook Pro 13 inch. And i usually just closed the lid after i have finished working with it.

Then i used it again tomorrow morning for work.

But my friend suggested that it is not safe for mac book pro users to just close the lid without shutting down the mac. It is said that if the MBP still using standard SATA Harddrive then it is wise to shut it down first, because the Harddrive still have some sort of mechanism. It is different from the SSD drive.

If the Mac uses SSD drive than its fine just to close the lid without shutting down.

Is it true? maybe someone has some informatioan about this. it would very helpfull coz i really love my MBP 🙂

thanks

shut down or just close the lid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.