Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move (not copy) photos from Camera Roll to a new folder?

I have an iPad 3 with iOS 6. I am able to create new folders for photos, but there seems no way to save into them from Safari or Mail, just to the Camera Roll. When I want to move photos from Camera Roll to a newly created folder, I find that I can copy, but not move them. And if I copy them to the new folder, and then want to delete them from the Camera Roll (or any other folder) my only option is "Delete all Instances." Am I missing something here?

iPad, iOS 6.0.1, It's an iPad 3rd generation

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:13 AM

That is how it currently works. When you copy photos into the new albums that you've created directly on your iPad then you are effectively just creating pointers to those photos, so if you delete the original photo you will also be deleting all pointers to it. You could either need to copy them to your computer, organise them on there and then re-sync those fodlers/albums back to the iPad, or there are third-party photo management apps such as Photo Manager Pro which give you more control over your photos.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2012 7:13 AM in response to Gasman4297

That is how it currently works. When you copy photos into the new albums that you've created directly on your iPad then you are effectively just creating pointers to those photos, so if you delete the original photo you will also be deleting all pointers to it. You could either need to copy them to your computer, organise them on there and then re-sync those fodlers/albums back to the iPad, or there are third-party photo management apps such as Photo Manager Pro which give you more control over your photos.

Nov 11, 2012 7:14 AM in response to Gasman4297

Yes, if you create a folder on iPad and copy photos over, you are only creating a link to the photos in Camera Roll the design idea behind this is to save space.

What you can do is save the photos on computer, create a folder (events) and sync the photos back to iPad.

Now you have truely two copies, you can delete the photos from camera Roll if that what you want.

Nov 11, 2012 7:16 AM in response to Gasman4297

You are missing nothing at all. That is the way this whole thing works on the iPad Photos App.

The folders/albums that you creat on the iPad only contain a shortcut or a pointer to the original photo. You can't put a copy of the photo into a new album and you cannot move the original photo to another album.

Albums that are created in the Photos app are local albums for photo organization on the device only. They cannot be imported onto your computer either, because photos do not really exist on those albums - only the shortcuts to the photos.

Nov 11, 2012 9:57 AM in response to Demo

It is infuriating that Apple puts us through such contortions just to do such a simple thing as delete a photo. Thanks for the explanation! It make sense, though it suggests that Apple (like Microsoft) hasn't the slightest interest in making life easy for its customers. I've played around with ITunes, ICloud, syncing and all the rest in an effort to get my IPad to play nicely with my pc, and I am fed up with how tough they make it. In any event, I just downloaded Photo Manager Pro. That seems to have done the trick!

How do I move (not copy) photos from Camera Roll to a new folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.