Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Everything freezing / working very slowly

I've been away for about 2 weeks, & since I got back & switched on my Mac, nothing seems to work properly; Firefox, Bridge & Photoshop are all seizing up; freezing, sticking, not reacting when I type, or taking several minutes to react. Almost everything I try to do involves watching that beach ball spinning round for several minutes. Anyone got any idea what this is? is it a bug? I removed Norton as it was driving me crazy with it's incessant pop-up messages, but maybe I should re-install it? I installed something else instead that was recommended here - ClamXav? I've installed updates for the Mac.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:46 AM

3 replies

Nov 11, 2012 2:14 PM in response to AliWonder

Norton? I can't believe they are still trying to sell that to Mac owners! Could very well be your whole problem. Did you use Norton's uninstaller or just put it the trash? Putting it in the trash won't get rid of Norton's parasitic grip.

Try using Disk Utility to do a Disk Repair, as shown in this link, while booted up on your install disk for OS 10.6.8 and under. If you are running 10.7 or 10.8 run Disk Repair from Disk Utility on your Recovery System. It shows you how in the link.

You could have some directory corruption caused by Norton. Let us know what errors Disk Repair reports and if DU was able to repair them. This could just be a start in repairs and you may need a better utility to finish the job.

Then Repair Permissions.

No need to report any Permissions errors........we all get them.

 DALE

Everything freezing / working very slowly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.