2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2012 11:37 AM by Lutz Mader
Lutz Mader Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Hi all folks,

is something like the universal repeater mode with the new Airport Express 802.11n (2nd) available.

Today I use a Airport Express in the Client Mode to connect to a WLAN and I connect my Mac to the Ethernet Port and the Airport is in Bridge Mode.

This works nice and became available with the AirPort Express 802.11n, my AirPort Express 802.11g can't do this.

On the other hand, I'm interesting in connecting some Macs to the "foreign" WLAN, but all the time I use "Join a wireless Network", I got "Internet Connection" with "Connect Using" "Wireless Network" and "Connection Sharing" "Off (Brifge Mode)" only (same with "Extend a wireless network").

In "Participate in a WDS network" and "WDS remote" the Options for "Connection Sharing" are "Off (Bridge Mode)", "Distribute a range of IP addresses" or "Share a public IP address".

Maybe I'm wrong, but why I can't use this "Connection Sharing" Options with "Join a wireless Network", the Client Mode, too.

In the Bridge Mode I can't separate the two networks well.

Any suggestions,

Lutz

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • 1. Re: Universal Repeater Mode with Airport Express
    Tesserax Level 8 Level 8 (48,245 points)

The "Connection Sharing" option basically controls the base station's NAT & DHCP functions. By default, Connection Sharing = Share a public IP address. This would enable both NAT & DHCP. When "Distribute a range of IP addresses" is selected, DHCP is enabled, but NAT is disabled. Finally, for "Off (Bridge Mode)," both NAT & DHCP are disabled.

Now depending on which Connection Sharing option you choose, the options for Wireless Mode will change as well. These are all pre-designed by Apple for the most common uses for their base stations for simplicity.

• 2. Re: Universal Repeater Mode with Airport Express
    Lutz Mader Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Hmm, nice to know.

Now depending on which Connection Sharing option you choose, the options for Wireless Mode will change as well. These are all pre-designed by Apple for the most common uses for their base stations for simplicity.

This is a Airport limitation to make the handling more easy, you said. And something like a Universal Repeater Mode ist not available with the (new) Airport Express too.

Thanks, Lutz