Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I share some applications across devices but not others?

My kids share my Apple ID but it's becoming unmanageable, largely because of the FaceTime and IMessages from their friends coming on my devices.

I have set up an Apple ID for them but I'd still like to share some content, as follows:

Music - shared

Apps - shared

Video - shared

Notes - shared

FaceTime - unique to each person

Messages - unique to each person

Contacts - unique to each person

Is it possible to do this and, if so, what do I need to do?

Thank you.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 11:11 AM

You might be confusing an iTunes account with an iCloud account.

Multiple users can use the same iTunes account on their devices and thus share purchased music, apps, etc. and each have different iCloud accounts (using a different Apple ID) in order to keep email, contacts, calendars, etc. separate. On a single device, you can enter an ID for the iTunes store and a different ID for iCloud.

But if they all have different iCloud accounts, they can share some calendars and reminders, but everything else is separate. Thus notes cannot be shared.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2012 11:11 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

You might be confusing an iTunes account with an iCloud account.

Multiple users can use the same iTunes account on their devices and thus share purchased music, apps, etc. and each have different iCloud accounts (using a different Apple ID) in order to keep email, contacts, calendars, etc. separate. On a single device, you can enter an ID for the iTunes store and a different ID for iCloud.

But if they all have different iCloud accounts, they can share some calendars and reminders, but everything else is separate. Thus notes cannot be shared.

Nov 11, 2012 12:02 PM in response to pvonk

Thanks - that makes sense.

Im trying to tidy this up and mnake it easier to move between the different accounts - I'd like to rename my Apple ID after my icloud mail address, rather than my hotmail (which I want to stop using). However despite a few attempts Ive been unable to change my Apple ID to my iCloud address - do you know why?

Thank you.

Nov 11, 2012 12:16 PM in response to Jerry Dammers

To manage the Apple ID:

https://appleid.apple.com

If you need to change the password, under the Manage your Apple ID section on the right, click the link to Change your password.

To change to a different, existing, icloud account on a device:

Settings>iCloud, scroll to bottom of page and tap Delete Account. This disconnects the account from the device, it does not delete data. Then log in with the other ID.

See this for more tips:

http://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-5-icloud-tips-sharing-an-apple-id-with-you r-family/

How do I share some applications across devices but not others?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.