Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have exclamation marks beside all my songs and cannot play them.

Since I upgraded to the new I Tunes, I have exclamation marks beside all my songs. When I try to play them, I get an error message that says: The (name of song) could not be used because the file could not be found. Would you like to locate it? I can't even find it. I am SO frustrated with ITunes. Thanks in advance.

Karen

iPod classic

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 10:38 AM

1 reply

Nov 13, 2012 7:00 AM in response to kfaw02

iTunes does not look directly at your media files. It uses a database (library.itl) to list what you have added and where the media file was when you did that. If something gets changed such as you moving an iTunes file or folder, or renaming something to do with iTunes, the links get broken. If your drive is corrupt it could also lose files.

If you use iTunes's default preference settings your media should be in Home > Music > iTunes > then the appropriate media folder and subfolder Is your media file there? If it is, locate one of them with iTunes, then iTunes will offer to find the others based upon the same structure. If the media file is gone then something major is going wrong and you will need to restore your iTunes library from your backup you make before updating any software on your computer.

I have exclamation marks beside all my songs and cannot play them.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.