Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder's "Keep Both" vs. "Skip" when copying files - why does the "default" seem to change?

Sometimes when copying files around and a duplicate is encountered, finder offers me the "Keep Both" option as the default for that button, while other times it offers me "Skip" as the default for that button. I realize I can use the option key to change the button, but I don't understand why the "default" seems to change. I thought maybe I was being shown "Skip" when OS X thought the two files were identical, and "Keep Both" when they had the same name, but OS X thought they were not identical, but I confirmed that I am seeing "Keep Both" at times when the files are in fact totally identical.

Just curious about this. Anyone know why the default seems to change from time to time?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 12:17 PM

6 replies

Nov 13, 2012 6:19 PM in response to vdavidoff

David, this isn't the confirmed answer, however, from my experience I have observed that when you first copy over a file to a new location and then try doing it again, you get the "skip" option. If you try a second time, copying over the same flie to that other "same" location where you got the "skip" option, because it's your second time, it now displays the "keep both" option.

I haven't tried the the option-key trick you mentioned, I'll give it a try.

Anybody else come up with any other conclusions why you get "skip" one time but then the other time it doesn't give you the "skip" option and forces the "keep" button?

Jul 22, 2013 10:01 AM in response to vdavidoff

I know this is an older post, I think I know the answer to this question.

I have observed that if you move 4 or fewer items into a folder with items of the same names, you get the option Keep Both.

If you move 5 or more items into a folder with items of the same name, that is when you are no longer given the option to "Keep Both" but instead are only allowed to Stop, Replace, or Skip.

Jun 8, 2014 8:56 PM in response to vdavidoff

I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned. I see keep both when I drag an item into a folder where the same file name exists. To see keep both I press Option while the dialog box is up, pressing Option will change skip to keep both.

I find this a lot with Mac, options seem to be hidden until you press certian keys, such as holding option when clicking the items in the menu bar; you are presented with different options.

Hope this helps.

Finder's "Keep Both" vs. "Skip" when copying files - why does the "default" seem to change?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.