Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching between hard-drive partitions

I have been having problems in moving files from the Mountain Lion section of my computer's hard drive to the Snow Leopard section (I have partitioned the hard drive). Today, I learned how to do it and, as a test, successfully transferred a song from the Mountain Lion's iTunes library to the Snow Leopard's iTunes library. Unfortunately, a new problem then arose: I can no longer switch from one operating system to the other; in fact, I can no longer open in Snow Leopard at all. Previously, I would open in Snow Leopard by powering on the computer, or in Mountain Lion by powering on the computer WHILE holding down the OPTION key. That procedure no longer works.

I can think of only two things that happened today that may have caused the problem. They both occurred while trying to transfer 4,085 songs occupying 16.72 GBs from my Mountain Lion's iTunes library to my Snow Leopard's iTunes library. The incidents were as follows: (1) I accidentally downloaded many of the songs to my Mountain Lion desktop rather than to the Snow Leopard hard drive icon on my Mountain Lion desktop. When I tried to trash the songs to clean up the desktop, the following message appeared: "Some of the items you are moving are in use by another application. Moving the items can cause problems with the application using them. Are you sure you want to move these items?" (2) I transferred all 4,085 songs (16.72 GB) to the Snow Leopard hard drive icon on my Mountain Lion desktop. A little wordy, perhaps, but I think I've covered everything.

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 2:04 PM

5 replies

Nov 11, 2012 2:44 PM in response to BDAqua

No, Snow Leopard does not now show in the System Preferences Startup disc. Also, I just remembered that I was successful in moving two hundred and twelve songs (496.8 MB) of one singer from My Mountain Lion iTunes library to my Snow Leopard iTunes library (unfortunately I deleted them to go for the whole bunch with one click), so it just may be that there's a maximum number of files that can be moved with one click.

Nov 11, 2012 7:30 PM in response to RRFS

RRFS wrote:

Are both of your iTunes Apps the same version? It is feasible that if they are of different versions it somehow corrupted the OS

I think they're both iTunes10, but I can't be sure because I am still unable to access the Snow Leopard section of my hard drive. I have now used Disc Utility to repair my hard drive, both sections, but no problems were found. However, I've been suspecting Disc Utility for the last week or so. I've never, until now, used Disc Utility wihout it making some comments, usually many. Now it only says everything's okay. No comments at all. I'm now thinking of installing Disc Warrior, but I'm going ccll Apple first.Unfortunately, my protection plan just expired and can't be renewed, so I'll have to pay.

Nov 20, 2012 8:57 AM in response to Niku

I found out that my Apple Care Protection Plan had not yet expired, so they will be able to help me for a few more weeks. As to this case, they sent me a new Snow Leopard installation disk, and that did the trick. Using it, together with their guidance, I finally managed to fix all of the above problems. Let's hear it for Apple Care Protextion Plan! Unfortunately, you can't renew it.Case closed.

Switching between hard-drive partitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.