Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 11 is so slow when opening

Very recently my iPhoto has become so slow when opening, it can take anywhere between 3 and 7 minutes, during this time my Macbook just hangs, I can't use any other programs.

I have attempted running the iPhoto first aid, I have picked all of the options on the first aid list and nothing has helped. I have tried quitting everything before opening iPhoto and this makes no difference. I have also deleted some of the photos from my library, but I don't have an exceptionally large library anyway, 1900 jpegs.

I am running iPhoto 11 version 9.4.2 with mountain lion 10.8.2, I have no issues with any other programs being slow.

Once it opens it is generally fine, but it's just turning a 20 second task into a 10 minute task.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 3:40 PM

4 replies

Nov 26, 2012 9:50 AM in response to Yer_Man

I have (had?) the identical problem, with just slightly different details (I'm on Lion, not Mountain Lion, and I haven't tried repairing anything yet in iPhoto). iPhoto used to start up in a reasonable amount of time, but it seems since updated to 9.4.2, the startup time is incredibly long (I'll guess 5-10x longer). Admittedly, I have one of the largest iPhoto libraries I've heard of, but I'm just really trying to see why the update changed startup time so much.

Note that I have 500GB of free space on my boot drive, and that creating a new iPhoto library results in a speedy startup.

An oddity I just now see after creating a new library is, when I go back to select my old library at iPhoto launch, there are two libraries listed, with identical names, and identical paths ("iPhoto Library" - /Users/UserName/Pictures/iPhoto Library). Looking in the finder, I only see one Library with that name. After playing around with opening either one, now the first one says "(default)" after it every time.

Note that I just added "(had?)" to the beginning of my post, as it seems like my library has started opening in the normal amount of time since I played around with the libraries (creating a new one, etc.). So maybe just creating a new library and then going back to the default library with help thatgurlwho too?

Dec 13, 2012 4:20 PM in response to thatgurlwho

I have this excruciatingly slow start-up with iPhoto as well. To add insult to injury, often after iPhoto is finally running, it totally slows down everything to the point that I have to re-start.

On an archived posting with this problem Apple fixed this with a firmware update to the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. I have an NVIDEA GeForce 9400m, but cannot find anywhere what the current firmware version is supposed to be...

Klaus

iPhoto 11 is so slow when opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.