Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete music files, once I've played them in iTunes? I know it sounds like a stupid question.

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but can I delete the actual music file, once I've played it in iTunes. For example, if I download a song, and put the file on my desktop, and then click on it to play on iTunes. Then, what happens if I delete that file on my desktop. Would it delete the song off my music library?

I'm doing this because I havent got that much memory left on my Macbook Pro hard disk, and need to delete some media files.

Thanks

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:59 PM

If you use iTunes' default settings it will copy the song to your iTunes folder when you play it. In that case you end up with a copy on your desktop and one in your iTunes folder. You can delete the copy on the desktop because it will still be in iTunes folder. If you don't want it there you will have to delete it from iTunes and have it remove the file too.

If you don't want a copy at all initially, use Quicktime player to play the track so it doesn't get added to iTunes. Right click a file to get opening options. You can also set it up so music gets opened automatically with Quicktime Player instead of iTunes. You can still add the file to iTunes by dragging it to an iTunes window.

Mac OS X: Double-Clicking a File Opens the Wrong Application - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2291

-= Changing the application used to open all files of a certain kind (written with reference to OSX 10.4 but may not have changed) =-

1) In a Finder window highlight a file of the kind you want to change the application to open that kind of file.

2) While that file is highlighted, select File > Get Info or press command (apple or propeller icon) + i to get a file information window.

3) In the lower part of the info window there is an "open with" menu with a list of applications.

4) If your application is already in the box then it is the default application for opening that kind of file and you don't need to do anything more. Close the get info window.

5) If the application showing in the menu is not the one with which you wish to open the file then select a new application. If your application does not appear there then select the "other..." and track down the application (usually in the Applications folder at the main level of the computer).

6) If you wish to change all files of this type to open with this application in future, make sure the "change all" button is selected.

7) Close the get info window.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2012 8:59 PM in response to garry1993

If you use iTunes' default settings it will copy the song to your iTunes folder when you play it. In that case you end up with a copy on your desktop and one in your iTunes folder. You can delete the copy on the desktop because it will still be in iTunes folder. If you don't want it there you will have to delete it from iTunes and have it remove the file too.

If you don't want a copy at all initially, use Quicktime player to play the track so it doesn't get added to iTunes. Right click a file to get opening options. You can also set it up so music gets opened automatically with Quicktime Player instead of iTunes. You can still add the file to iTunes by dragging it to an iTunes window.

Mac OS X: Double-Clicking a File Opens the Wrong Application - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2291

-= Changing the application used to open all files of a certain kind (written with reference to OSX 10.4 but may not have changed) =-

1) In a Finder window highlight a file of the kind you want to change the application to open that kind of file.

2) While that file is highlighted, select File > Get Info or press command (apple or propeller icon) + i to get a file information window.

3) In the lower part of the info window there is an "open with" menu with a list of applications.

4) If your application is already in the box then it is the default application for opening that kind of file and you don't need to do anything more. Close the get info window.

5) If the application showing in the menu is not the one with which you wish to open the file then select a new application. If your application does not appear there then select the "other..." and track down the application (usually in the Applications folder at the main level of the computer).

6) If you wish to change all files of this type to open with this application in future, make sure the "change all" button is selected.

7) Close the get info window.

Apr 9, 2013 4:48 AM in response to Limnos

Hi to all of you !!

I am new to the apple support communities and I am looking for an answer to my "itunes' library problem".

I used to managed my iTunes music library myself. (I cannot even remember why but that is what I did).

From now on I would like to turn the "default library management", for that I know the box "copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" has to be ticked (as shown below) in the iTunes' preferences.

User uploaded file

The problem is all my songs had been downloaded to iTunes before I ticked this box. So now if I delete a song from the library (user/music/itunes/itunes music/) it automaticaly makes it lost in iTunes (picture below). Even with the box ticked.

User uploaded file

Is there any solution for me to make my music library managed by default from now on meanwhile getting all the other songs, already on my itunes in consideration ?

I hope I managed to make myself clear enough.

Thank you very much for your help.

Apr 9, 2013 10:37 AM in response to C@rli

C@rli wrote:

The problem is all my songs had been downloaded to iTunes before I ticked this box

Doesnt matter. iTunes purchases will always go into the folder shown in iTunes prefs > Advanced in Artist/album folders.

Once you set the iTunes prefs > Advanced as shown in yoru screenshot, go to File > Library > Organize library - Consolidate.

Everything will be copied into /Users/Carli/Music/iTunes/iTUnes music/ folder.

So now if I delete a song from the library (user/music/itunes/itunes music/)

Don't delete songs from these folders yourself. Don't mess with stuff inside the iTunes folder. Let iTunes handle it.

Simply delete items from iTunes.

iTunes will will ask if you want to delete from the library, then ask if you want to delete from the hard drive.

Can I delete music files, once I've played them in iTunes? I know it sounds like a stupid question.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.