Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color temperature of ipad4

Ok, so i bought an ipad2 1,5 years ago and everthing was fine i was satisfied with thr colors and display. Then ipad 3 appeared and it just blew my mind with its retina display. Now for big surprise the ipad4 also appeared i wanted to buy n ipad3 becouse of the retina and old connector, but my friends told me to better buy an ipad4 becouse it has a faster pcu and better cameras. That is all true. However i noticed a big difference between ipad 3 and ipad4: the color profile. While the ipad 3 has a nice warm color profile, similar to my iphone4s and ipad2, the ipad 4 has a very cold color profile, where the blue is almost purple. It is very striking in the google search fr example. Normally i am used to blue result links and purple visited links. But now it seems like every result link was already visited. Disturbing. Sadly there is no color profile adjuster in the settings so dont know what to do how can i change the color profile without jailbrek? I am pretty shure they wont replace the tablet for me since that is a very subjective problem.

iPad, iOS 6

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 5:43 PM

8 replies

Nov 14, 2012 11:49 AM in response to Fred-M-

I've been further investigated this issue, and it seems it's not a unique case. I've checked all the showcased iPad 4's on the store and all have the same darker color profile. Please, if you can check for yourself: open Google on iPad 4 and iPhone 4s (or iPad2 or iPad mini) and check the color of the "magnifier" search button. On iPad 4 the button has a darker shade of blue and so do the 'G's on the Google logo.

I work with colors so for me it is very noticeable and I am not used to it because all my other devices display the right shade.

I don't know what to do, I have 4 days left to return the table and get a full refund, but don't know if I really want that. All the other characteristics are impressive, and it's a huge improvement from my iPad2, only this 'little' color issue...

(I intentionally omitted iPad 3 this time, since the store didn't have any iPad 3's left, so I can make the comparisons again)

Nov 15, 2012 10:36 AM in response to Oxidkeja

Oxidkeja-

You might create an image on your computer, of a color calibration chart showing standard colors. Transfer it to the iPad and see how it looks there. If there is a significant color shift, you could at least complain about it.

Also see if increasing the iPad display brightness helps. From the Home screen, double click the Home button. A space opens up along the bottom of the screen showing the icons of recent Apps. Wipe your finger there to your right, and a group of controls should appear. The control marked with a snowflake or asterisk, adjusts screen brightness.

There is also a brightness adjustment in Settings-Brightness & Wallpaper.

Fred

Nov 15, 2012 3:50 PM in response to Fred-M-

Sadly it's not the brightness. This is a pure display characteristic problem. I can remember facing similar issues between Samsung and LG monitors. The Samsung was always the winner because of the warmer, richer colors.

I wish IOS had some kind of color calibrating setting available, but it doesn't. And still I'm not sure if this could be fixed from there.

Nov 16, 2012 9:51 PM in response to JimHdk

Yeah nonsense ur comment.. I would spend here my time if there was nothing. Either u cannot observe this slight difference (i do not blame u for that, my friend couldnt see either just after i showed him exactly) or you have a good display. I suggest to anyone who is wanting to upgrade to ipad4 and is sensitive to such things to take the ipad2 or whatever else apple device he/she may have, open colorschemedesigner.com in both devices and compare the colors (especially the blue shades).

Nov 18, 2012 10:52 AM in response to Oxidkeja

Oxidkeja-

I do not have an iPad 4, but I can compare my iPad 2 with the LED Cinema Display of my Mac Pro. I find the iPad 2 to be somewhat lighter or warmer, especially at the blue side of your colorschemedesigner circle.

The Mac Pro has a noticeably deeper blue. I routinely work with color photos on the Mac Pro and like the results I get, but can't judge which is more accurate.

I think you can get used to what you have, so you notice when there is a change. Is it possible the iPad 4 actually has more accurate colors? If you continue to work with the iPad 4, you might eventually think it has a better display than your iPad 2.

Fred

Color temperature of ipad4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.