Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Software Instruments in Logic and Garageband

Hello fellow Logic and Garageband Users,

I have been using Garageband and the many Jam Packs that go along with it for about 8 years and have had no problems with my software instruments. I recently installed Logic and after about a month of using it, a lot of my software files suddenly disappeared without me deleting anything!

Whenever I try to use certain instruments it will say: (with Steinway Piano as an example)

EX24 Instrument "Steinway Piano.exs":
Audio file “Stw ped v1 024.AIF” not found!

I have tried the following:

1) Searched my computer for instruments ---> files not found
2) Deleted and reinstalled Logic ---> same instruments still missing

3) Checked my Garageband projects that use these instruments, ---> MIDI recordings with those instruments are removed from project
4) Pressed "Download Additional Content" and downloaded all of the instruments ---> same instruments still missing.

There are about 10 missing instruments, and they seem to be the ones I have used the most: Piano, Viola, certain Bass sounds.

Can anyone offer a solution here? I'm getting very frustrated after hitting several brick walls with this problem. Thank you so much!

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 6:42 PM

5 replies

Nov 11, 2012 6:48 PM in response to supadude935

Re-index spotlight....

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2409

In your case you will need to drag across your system drive to the privacy tab and then delete it from the privacy tab.. This will force OS X to reindex your drive and hopefully that will resolve your issue.

Bear in mind the reindexing of the system drive can take a while to complete (Sometimes several hours) so do this before you go to bed leaving the computer awake (setting the energy saving settings to "do not let computer sleep" etc) and then by morning it should all be done.

Nov 12, 2012 5:57 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Hi there, Art of Sound! Thanks so much for your reply. I did try to reindex my system by using the method in the link. I loaded Logic and tried to use a missing instrument (Steinway Piano) and I got the same message. 😟

Thanks for trying though- I really appreciate it and whatever input anyone has. Do you think someone at the Apple Store would be able to help me with this?

Apr 21, 2013 6:02 AM in response to supadude935

When you say 'installed", it doesn't say if you bought it or downloaded a crack version like most visitors here, but if you bought it, did you take the time to download ALL the additional content? Have you checked in the Logic Pro menu if it says they are all installed? An instrument with the same name in GB and LP doesn't mean it's the same instrument. The fact that those instrument don't even appear in old GB projects is pretty weird. Good luck.

Missing Software Instruments in Logic and Garageband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.