Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD Passport Drive not mounting!

I have lot of data on my WD passport back up hard drive that doesn't exist anywhere else. All of the sudden the hard drive won't appear in Finder.

When I open up disk utility it shows the root 500 GB WD My Passport drive which seems to be OK when I verify it and repair it. However, the "External Hard Drive", the directory underneath the "500 GB WD My Passport drive" is grayed out. When I verify the External Hard Drive it says it needs to be rapaired. When I try and repair it it gives me the message and does not seem to progress:

Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

Is there hope for me recovering my data?

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:31 PM

3 replies

Jul 27, 2013 3:47 PM in response to scot727

I'm not sure what happened. I was using it to back up an older drive with what's on my WD. The batter died on my Macbook Pro causing the back up to end prematurely. When I restarted the computer, on my older drive would come up. The WD My Passport is missing from the Finder. I can see it in Disk Utility but that's it. No option to repair. I've been doing some research and WD has been having this same issue for some time. I have nearly 1TB of data on this drive that extremely critical and I don't know what to do. Can someone help?

Oct 11, 2013 11:56 PM in response to scot727

I had a similar problem with WD My Passport not mounting, which I was using as a time machine backup. Eventually found a (temporary) solution to it not mounting by opening Activity Monitor (while the drive was connected) and selecting process "fsck_hfs" and then "quit process". The drive should then mount on the desktop and enable you to access the drive/contents. I'm not sure how the drive can be permanently repaired but in my case I reformatted it - and now it's behaving.

Dec 14, 2016 7:30 AM in response to scot727

Thank You!! I've had the same problem with my Passport for Mac ( 1 TB) and tried your solutions in the mac Activity monitor and it now mounts.

"I had a similar problem with WD My Passport not mounting, which I was using as a time machine backup. Eventually found a (temporary) solution to it not mounting by opening Activity Monitor (while the drive was connected) and selecting process "fsck_hfs" and then "quit process". The drive should then mount on the desktop and enable you to access the drive/contents. I'm not sure how the drive can be permanently repaired but in my case I reformatted it - and now it's behaving."

Can anyone tell what I am doing in this fix and how I get so it can work with Time Machine???

Bill

WD Passport Drive not mounting!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.