Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Plz Recommend HDR Software

I am considering purchasing an HDR program for use as a plug-in with Aperture. I would appreciate views/recommendations from fellow Aperture users who have tried both Nik's and Photomattix's offerings. . Thanks in advance.

Wm.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:21 AM

I use both Photomatix (HDRSoft) and HDR Efex Pro 2 (Nik Software) as plugins from Aperture. Both applications can do a good job of merging bracketed exposures. Both offer considerable control over the resulting merged image from subtle to ghastly.

One point worth considering is that the plug-in version of Photomatix does not include the ghosting tool to manage movemetn across your bracketed images. The standalone program does but requires export of images from Aperture (& then re-importing).

Trial versions are available from each developer, so it would be worth testing them out to see which best suits your workflow.

I've found that the more I use HDR Efex Pro 2 the more I like it and the less I use Photomatix. Partly as a result of my love of Nik's u-point (no masking) technology. But your mileage may vary.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2012 5:21 AM in response to Wm Y

I use both Photomatix (HDRSoft) and HDR Efex Pro 2 (Nik Software) as plugins from Aperture. Both applications can do a good job of merging bracketed exposures. Both offer considerable control over the resulting merged image from subtle to ghastly.

One point worth considering is that the plug-in version of Photomatix does not include the ghosting tool to manage movemetn across your bracketed images. The standalone program does but requires export of images from Aperture (& then re-importing).

Trial versions are available from each developer, so it would be worth testing them out to see which best suits your workflow.

I've found that the more I use HDR Efex Pro 2 the more I like it and the less I use Photomatix. Partly as a result of my love of Nik's u-point (no masking) technology. But your mileage may vary.

Nov 13, 2012 8:35 AM in response to Wm Y

Just to give you a counter point, I've used both the Nik and the HDRsoft programs and now pretty much only use Photomatix generally in its plug-in mode. Ghosting isn't an issue for me as I only do HDR off of tripod shots. (For a complex set of shots I will export and use the stand alone version. An extra step, but not really a problem.) Both programs work, but to my eye Photomatix creates a better image. You probably can't go wrong with either, though I - and many others - are concerned for the future of Nik since it has been sold to Goggle. As Mtb suggests, download both demos an play with them.

Robert

Plz Recommend HDR Software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.