I need to move a large portion of a project I'm working on to make space for an extended section. How can I do this easily? So far I have been unable to move regions at the same time as track automation, and I have been unable to move automation from multiple tracks at the same time.
You can do it a couple of ways. To use what I call "The Frontal Assault Method™", follow these steps:
1. Open Logic's Preferences, select the Automation tab, and set the Move Automation with Regions selector to either "Always" (if that's what you want to happen always) or "Ask". I use "Ask", in which case Logic always asks me whether I want to move automation with the regions. (Sometimes I don't.) Then close the Preferences dialog.
2. Resize the Arrange window with the zoom sliders (both horizontally and vertically) until you can see all the regions you want to move.
3. If you have automation in any of the Global tracks, you should expand them as well so you can be sure they’re selected in the next step.
4. Select all of the regions you want to move. You can do this by using the Arrange window’s Edit, Select All menu command (or by simply using the Command-A keystroke command), or by dragging the mouse cursor in a rectangle to select all the regions. If you use the mouse, be sure to extend the drag up into the Global tracks to select any automation there.
5. Click+drag to move the regions to the new location. If you’ve set your Automation preferences to “Ask”, Logic will display a dialog asking you whether you want to move the automation. Click Move.
Important Note: If you have any automation in bus tracks or your master output track, the Edit, Select All command will NOT select that automation unless you first create empty regions in those tracks. That’s easy enough to do. Just create regions and drag them to a length that encompasses all of the automation. If you don’t create such regions, the automation will not be selected (even using the mouse drag method), and the automation in those tracks will not move when you move everything else.
You can also use the Arrange window’s Edit, Cut/Insert Time menu command to insert time in the song's timeline ahead of your existing regions, which will move them and their automation (...er, provided you've already followed Step 1 in the method described above), but there’s a bit more involved with that method. I recommend using Logic’s documentation to familiarize yourself with the Cut/Insert Time functions if you want to do it that way.
I’ve read some reports saying that moving automation with regions using Cut/Insert Time was broken in Logic 8 (which I skipped), but I know for a fact that it worked in Logic 7, and it works in Logic 9.
If you don't get it right on the first try, just Undo and try it again. You'll get the hang of it soon enough.