Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard.spacebar.not.working

our.spacebar.on.our.keyboard.will.not.work

iMac, wireless.keyboard

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:57 PM

If all keys function properly except for the spacebar then your spacebar is no longer functional, make an appointment and take the keyboard to your local Apple Genius bar. You will need the serial number of your iMac in order for Apple Care to cover the replacement.

8 replies

Mar 25, 2013 4:59 PM in response to damico family

I have been having this happen to me off and on (though it is on my MacBook) and after scouring this website I have found two helpful tips, and I have no idea if these will help you as an iMac user:

- For the MacBook It seems to be related to batter life. It usually happens to me when I have less than 45 minutes left on my battery. When I plug it in, it sometimes takes care of the problem.

-When that doesn't work, I can usually get it working by toggling Num Lock (fn + F6), which usually takes care of the situation!

Good luck

Sep 16, 2013 3:05 PM in response to AmyandSimon

I did not have to replace my keyboard (though I do remind you that I am working on a 5 year old MacBook, not an iMac. I actually haven't had the issue for about 5 months now. So, all I can really offer is the toggling of your NumLock. Which, if you have a MacBook is done by holding the "fn" key and tapping F6. I usually tapped it a good 5 or 6 times, which seemed to sort of "wake it up" and if that didn't work (which meant that I had actually turned NumLock "ON"), I toggled one more time to turn it "OFF" If that doesn't work, I don't know what else! sorry!

Jul 14, 2014 2:15 AM in response to daveyberg

Thanks so much for your advice. I lost my spacebar after the latest update to OSX 10.9.4 on my iMac with a low keyboard battery. I replaced the batteries and reconnected and then tried everything to get my spacebar working again but with no success until I read your posting. Hitting Fn F6 a few times seemed to just wake it up again. Now I have my spacebar back working again. Let's hope people who have this issue find your posting quickly!

keyboard.spacebar.not.working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.