Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem opening a Numbers file on new MacPro

I just purchased a new MacPro with Mountain Lion. I moved a hard drive from my older MacPro to the new one. I installed iWork 8 on the new computer, then installed the update for it. I tried to open a document that I created in iWork 8 on my old computer, but a drop-down box said that I "need a newer version of Numbers to open this document."

Can someone explain what is going on?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 3.33 GHz 6-Core IntelXeon, 8 GB RAM

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:21 PM

Somewhere in the process the document was opened with and saved from Numbers '09. Numbers ;08 cannot open files in the native format of Numbers '09.

Use numbers '09 to reopen the file, then Save or Export it in Numbers '08 format.

Regards,

Barry

10 replies

Nov 13, 2012 1:44 AM in response to Dorothy Barnett

Strange behaviour, then. That's the only situation I'm aware of that will generate that particular message.

If you'd like t email the file to me, I'll attempt to open it and re-save it as a Numbers '08 file, then return it.

My address is available in my profile. Click my name in blue above this message to get to it.

Regards,

Barry

Nov 13, 2012 9:57 AM in response to Dorothy Barnett

Received the file, which opened easily in Numbers '09. Resaved in Numbers '08 format as returned to Dorothy.

Regards,

Barry

Regarding upgrade pricing: The retail box version of iWork (no 's') '09 was $69 for a single user/single machine licence, $99 with a Family licence (up to 5 users/machines, same family, living under the same roof). Mac app store licence is for installation and use on all Macs registered under the same Mac app store ID.

B

Problem opening a Numbers file on new MacPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.