Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Win 7 installation error: QTTask.exe. Verify that you have access to that directory.

I get the following error message when I try to upgrade/install QuickTime to version 7.73.80.64 :

"Error writing to file C:/Program Files(x86)/QuickTime/QTTask.exe. Verify that you have access to that directory"

With the typical Abort, Retry or Ignore options. I tried all of the options, Retry simply repeated, Abort cancelled the installation, and Ignore

seemed to move the installation forward until I got the following error message:

"Error writing to file C:/Program Files(x86)/QuickTime/PropertyPanels\PanelHelperBase.qpa. Verify that you have access to that directory"

with no option available other than Cancel which removed all the files installed up to that point.

Uggh, FRUSTRATED

QuickTime 7.73.80.64-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:59 PM

1 reply

Nov 12, 2012 4:05 PM in response to MetaphoricReplies

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Frustrated with the solutions offered after an exhaustive google search "unistall all Apple applications (except iTunes) and then re-run the most current installer" or the ever so helpful "system wipe and restore" solution. I finally came across a solution from 2010 that worked for me.

I was able to install QT 7.73.80.64 for windows 7 by changing the default installation folder "quicktime" to a new folder that I named "aquicktime". Then changing the folder name back to QuickTime, and running the installer one more time choosing the Repair option and QT 7.73.80.64 has worked wonderfully ever since.

** It may be important to note that I had already uninstalled the previous version of QuickTime that I was attempting to upgrade before I came across the solution listed above. I wish I had found the solution earlier, because uninstalling the previous version of QuickTime wasn't necessary.

Win 7 installation error: QTTask.exe. Verify that you have access to that directory.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.