I know this is a well-discussed problem already but I'll try to provide relevant details to make this post not just another rant and run-around of solutions we already know.
Before ML Reinstall (not erase and install):
- Intermittently Safari would stop loading and would say no internet connection
- My WiFi would then say, after trying to reconnect, 'connection timed-out, cannot connect to AirBears' (our school WiFi name)
- So I would try to reboot, reset SMC, reset PRAM
- Then everytime: 'no hardware installed' when I click the WiFi radar icon in the menubar
- I try to repair permissions, reboot, adjust network settings here and there according to whats floating around online (new location, MTU, DHCP, KeyChain)
- Then by some random rhythmn and combination of things it would work, for a bit
- I would get the same issues whether on school or home networks; observed for about 3-4 days
After ML Reinstall (not erase and install):
- It was fine for about two days but only because I was using WiFi from my home.
- As soon as I got on AirBears to start the week it came back after only two hours of use
- Took to school technicians, they ran hardware tests and reset the PRAM and SMC only to resurface the 'no hardware installed' thing
- They recommended I reformat my drive because its probably a tiny kink in the entire web of software(s)
- I dont wanna do that, especially since TM would just slap that kinked code right back in there
- Im at home now and its working fine
- AirBears (school network) seems to be a suspect
- ML reinstall seems to have suprssed the problem (at least now i dont have the problem at home)
- SMC and PRAM reset seems to induce this 'no hardware installed' problem which is resolved by rebooting
- How can I find out definitively if its hardware or software related? This seems to be a smart first step.