Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The process of getting your book on the iTunes store is very complicated and frustrating. After delivering your book through iTunes Producer it gives you the BIG TICK and after that you have no idea what stage your book is at.

The process of getting your book on the iTunes store is very complicated and frustrating. After delivering your book through iTunes Producer it gives you the BIG TICK and after that you have no idea what stage your book is at. You then have go to iTunes connect to see the status, and a lot more.

iBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:02 PM

14 replies

Nov 12, 2012 6:28 PM in response to bubawalshe

Its not really complicated, its Apple's submission work flow!

The "big tick"..indicates your book has been delivered to the Apple iBookstore review team.

They will eventually work down their list in logical order and eventually review your book.

You now have potentially two paths -

1 If the book is OK and will pass the review and after due process you will get an email to advise the book is available in the iBook Store.

2. OoooPS you have a problem and you will be notified that the book has a ticket ( as you can see in iTC ) the ticket email will advise ( loosely) what the issue is, and you need to correct it and re- deliver after corections.

Then you start the process again...and again until you have repaired all faults and your book is accepted.

The main thing you have to grasp... is Apple from CEO down to the cleaner they hired Monday, work to their own time frame and the cleaner only has one worn out broom......

To fill in time waiting, start your next book and concentrate on that.. deal with whatever happens with the review team if and when you have to.

Nov 12, 2012 6:38 PM in response to K T

With respect KT, its obvious Buba is submitting the first book and is not aware of the work flow...

Its not a whinge or compliant, you do a great job here - but...

Feedback has its place but takes months if ever to get a result.

Having slogged through this since iBA started this year ( for me) I find it easy to have had information from the older hands who passed down the path before me.

Its not too many weeks back I was on here begging for help dealing with Apples ambiguios responses.

I am only too glad to explain - what I do - if it will helps other newbies like me.

Nov 13, 2012 4:38 AM in response to K T

Venting??

To me the guy was asking for an explanation as to the delays in the process, how does this help him??

As always, feel free to use the 'Provide iBooks Author Feedback' menu item for features you'd like added in the future, changes to the process, etc.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ibooks-author.html

I think I gave a factual account of the delivery and review process.

It seems this riled you -

With respect KT, its obvious Buba is submitting the first book and is not aware of the work flow...

Its not a whinge or compliant, you do a great job here - but...

Its not a rant or vent .. just a simple and polite nod that not everybody takes info in easy - and is giving you a compiment venting??

Nov 14, 2012 1:23 AM in response to bubawalshe

I agree with Bubawalshe. The process is very frustrating and complicated. For an Apple branded product the itunes producer/author experience is very poor. I have now resubmitted my first book for the 4th time and most of the problems could have been picked up by a better pre screening package. It must be soul destroying for the guys working in Apple that are having to create the same tickets over and over again for newbies like myself. My errors could easily have been picked up at pre-screening.

Nov 14, 2012 4:01 AM in response to christian heretic

The problem seems to have stemmed from the free issue of iBooks Author as part of a master plan to get more books in the store and possibly an influx of new iMac users.

Pages has been around for years and can be used to make ePub book files. After iBA was released, Page users migrated to it with a lot of previous experience.

We newbies dove in at the deep end and the help files etc do not really help much. having had similar problems back in March.. I just gave up and had other things more productive to deal with. During the lay off I read as many posts on here I had time for and tried to learn more.

My main problem in March was images size.... and again just days ago there is yet another big thread about the same issue - which shows that all my feedback about this problem got nowhere when all it needs is about 4 lines of text adding to the images section of the help files and every newbie gets the answer.

It seems the getting past the review team is going to get harder now, because they have a huge backlog of eBooks to vet and the neeed to fill the book store is easing off.

The delivery process scans the "technical" aspect of your delivery - its then passed onto the review team, who I was once told actually go through the ebook visually, not sure if thats accurate though, anyway its up to the individual review team member dealing with your book who decided if its accepted or ticketed for attention.

Hope that helps....

Nov 14, 2012 4:34 PM in response to bubawalshe

Thanks for the feedback. I have calmed down now, as my book is in the iTunes Store and is selling hundreds of thousands of copies ahhh!. I thru a bit of a trantrum like a child I guess, sorry about that.

It is the first time that I have been in one of these online conversations. In the past I have only ever read them. I was so annoyed that I had to speak to someone, and as everyone has been pushed to these online processes it was all that I could do.

I have made some suggestions for change to Apple. They contacted me and said that they have forwarded the ideas to the appropriate team. I don't know that that will happen, but you never know, it may help a newbie like me in the future. Thanks again.

Cheers

Nov 14, 2012 4:56 PM in response to bubawalshe

Hey, dont be worried about this stuff and its OK to ask others with more experience for help and guidance, nobody will think anything bad about you.. rememeber this is a community of people all with the same interests in book publishing- some for money, some for fun. I make websites and I did iBook as a learning thing for future use.

For the basic stuf, a few tips can be really helpful. There are also people who use CSS code and other options to get inside and make fantastic displays. They are good.. but they will not think any less of you because they had to start at one time and knew nothing and people helped them.

With regard your feedback, I think Apple collect and catagorise everything and the biggect collection MAY be investigated for modification etc,. BUT it takes months if not years. The last update did little to help what was a major concern...images sizes! the Ibookstore Asset Guide v5 - to me seems to be dealing with images as they are seen in a written book with text in two columns viewed in landscape on the iPad.

Although - I found this -

Screenshots

Full-sized iPad 1/2 images (1024 x 768 or 768 x 1024) in PNG (.png) or JPEG (.jpg) format.

Full-sized new iPad images (2048 x 1536 or 1536 x 2048) in PNG (.png) or JPEG (.jpg) format.

For a cleaner look, you can optionally remove the status bar (making the images 1004 x 768 or 748 x 1024

for iPad 1/2, or 2028 x 1536 or 1536 x 2028 for the new iPad).

Well done on your success and I hope your book is used by at least 1 million!

Message was edited by: vinnyvg Forgot to paste info!!

Nov 14, 2012 5:11 PM in response to bubawalshe

Thanks,

My next step now is to promote my new book so that millions if not trillions 🙂 will buy it. I am producing a video composed of the illustrations in the book and music embedded in the book and which is also available in the iTunes music section. I need to try and contect them some how. Do you know where I can go to make this happen. I guess Facebook is one. Do you have any suggestions?

Nov 14, 2012 5:37 PM in response to bubawalshe

I think you are asking if I know how to get your video into iTunes - if so,,Sorry I dont know anything about that.

Apple have a PDF "iBookstore Marketting: Helpful Links" you could try that. And a Search onlline using that title as a search phrase- will bring up a lot of ways to promote your stuff.

Facebook is a place to promote your stuff.. I have FB and a "store" link to websites where I sell memorabelia!

I feel sure there are others who will read this and offer you better advice.

As a footnote.. I assue you are aware of copyright issues and your music is Royalty free / public domain stuff, adding Coldplay could cause you a problem!!

The process of getting your book on the iTunes store is very complicated and frustrating. After delivering your book through iTunes Producer it gives you the BIG TICK and after that you have no idea what stage your book is at.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.