8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 10:28 AM by PrincessTintin
PrincessTintin Level 1 (0 points)

Hi , I,m using a Imac and i've deleted some photos ... to my surprise they all reappeared in double ; result I now have 7200 photos ...  My question is what happened ?  How do I delete those pictures without having them to reappear ?

Thanks for your help .

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), iOS 6
  • Rambling Joe Level 2 (280 points)

I'm using OS 10.6.8 and iPhoto '09 (version 8.1.2), so I'm not sure if this applies to you or not.

First, when you delete a photo from iPhoto, make sure under the left window column Library, you're on Photos and not Events, Faces, or Places.  Otherwise, you're just deleting the photo link from the Event, Face, or Place.

Second, you need to empty the Trash in iPhoto by control clicking on the Trash icon in the iPhoto Window.

Third, you may need to to empty the System Trash from the Dock.

Fourth and definitely as an last alternative do this (in OS 10.6.8, not sure of any other OS):

Macintosh HD> Users> youruserID> Pictures> control click iPhoto Library> Show Package Contents> Originals> Year> Event to find the pictures you want to delete.

Good luck.

• PrincessTintin Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you Rambling Joe , I will try that , the pictures I deleted directly from the Pictures in Finder ... Used to have a pc and did it that way ... I'm new to Mac !  Thanks for your help .

If you had the photos in a folder on your hard drive or in your documents folder, and you imported those photos into iPhoto, iPhoto makes a copy of the original and stores that copy in the folder I showed you earlier.  That is why deleting the photo from your original folder doesn't work.  The copy is still in the iPhotos folder.

Good luck.

• den.thed Level 7 (25,965 points)

Joe is spot on!

Forget about looking at or managing your photos in the User Library for iPhoto, you will just make a mess out of it. Always add, delete and otherwise work on your photos from within the iPhoto Application.

Thank you very much ... I will do it correctly from now !!!  Thanxx

one more thing ; after deleted in I-Photo do I have to delete it Finder too ? Thanks again ...

I don't think you'll have to.  Just check once to make certain they are gone.

Good luck.

Thanxxx Rambling Joe !