I have the same problem. Ignore if you have solved this
Most of your .m4p files can be converted by subscribing to iTunes Match for about £20 GBP per year. Of course you only need to do this once and then make sure future purchases are in iTunes Plus format.
Can I upgrade my previously purchased music to iTunes Plus?
Yes. If you subscribe to iTunes Match, you can download your previously purchased music again in the iTunes Plus format. To do so:
- You need to delete the original DRM song from your library first. Doing this enables you to download the song again in the iTunes Plus format from iTunes in the Cloud.
- Click the Purchased tab in the iTunes Store.
- Click Music.
- Locate the artist of the song you want to upgrade.
- Click the iCloud Download icon next to the song you want to upgrade.
1. Delete from your iTunes library folder NOT the playlist. Click GO, All Files, Users, Music, iTunes ....
You can delete whole albums for conversion at this stage.
2. Some labels/artists will not allow conversion. This is the stage that I'm at: whether to re-purchase or buy converter App.
Quick question from your experience with this.. I have to go through this process, however would like to know the impact on the current playlists... Will deleting the songs from the library, erase them from the playlist. If not... will the playlist be able to point to the new file with a new extension?