Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i am trying to sync my 160gb, but get an error message "the ipod cannot be synced. a duplicate file name was specified. it only syncs a small % of music. any clues?

i am trying to sync my 160gb, but get an error message "the ipod cannot be synced. a duplicate file name was specified. it only syncs a small % of music. any clues?

iPod classic, Windows XP

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 8:57 PM

6 replies

Nov 17, 2012 7:53 PM in response to planb77

i did everything that you mentioned above, but still no luck. this time i got 3 different messages:

1 - Attempting to copy to the disk "JYD" failed. An unknown error occurred (-81)

2 - The iPod "........" cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred. (13010)

3 - Windows was unable to save all the data for the file I:\iPod_control\Artwork\F1601_1>ithmb. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

This is becoming frustrating now, as a week ago everything was working fine. hopefully you have more suggestions.

Nov 20, 2012 1:55 PM in response to pga.jason

Hmm. It could be an indication or a damaged or dying hard drive. I would recommend doing a disk diagnostic on the iPod's HD using the instructions given by turingtest2 in this older thread. He also covers what the resulting numbers indicate.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3784647?start=0&tstart=0

If necessary, post the resultings numbers and we can verify what the next steps to take.

B-rock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.