Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost a video in iphoto. When I restore from Time Machine I get a thumbnail that says the file fork doesn't exist. How do I get it back?

I shot a video on my iPhone. This got downloaded into my iPhoto during a sync. It has been there for months and worked fine. Recently the video was accidently deleted and the trash has been emptied. I just popped open Time Machine and went back and restored my iPhoto from a back up. It appeared to restore the video as the thumbnail reappeared where it had been before. BUT, when I click on it, I get a message that says "the file fork does not exist". I was also restoring a couple of pictures as well and those restored fine. How do I get this video out of time machine with a working file fork?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1, Mac Book Pro with Lion

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:11 PM

4 replies

Nov 13, 2012 3:36 PM in response to Old Toad

I closed iPhoto and then opened TimeMachine. I went back to the date prior to the loss and selected restore. When it promoted me on "Do you want to replace the file with the same name?", I chose to replace the entire file. If it helps, Im running the latest version of iPhoto (purchased it in October) and my mac book pro is at 10.8.2.

Nov 16, 2012 9:56 PM in response to Old Toad

I did what you said and named my library Iphoto (old) and then brought forward the iphoto library as a copy without overwriting what was already there. The new one worked exactly as it was suppose to. I then just dropped the old one into the trash bin. Thanks for taking the time to help me!! You are greatly appreciated!!

I lost a video in iphoto. When I restore from Time Machine I get a thumbnail that says the file fork doesn't exist. How do I get it back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.