Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Wake From Sleep

Hi Forum,

My MBP, on Mountain Lion, seems to wake slowly from sleep, and then be very sluggish on use, so much so that its usable and I have to turn it off and on again, really defeating the object of sleep.

i use an app to monitor my hard drive and memory usage on my mac, i cant for the life of me remember which one as I'm not on my mac at the moment, but it tells me that among the memory usages on my MBP is AddressBook which is using between 2.2Gbs and 2.6Gbs of my memory.

Would this be why the machine is sluggish? and what's it doing that takes up so much memory? its not even open. its iCloud synced with 1700 contacts. Is this tryingto do something behind the scenes? any other ideas?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:55 PM

8 replies

Nov 13, 2012 12:56 AM in response to Courcoul

4Gbs and 11Gbs free on the hard drive.

Im reading that Address Book and Addressbooksourcesync which appears to be taking up all my memory might have somethign to do with it, with regard to Syncing with iCloud and possibly the groups Contacts/Address Book uses.

This would make sense as when i kill this everythign works fine and i get errors asmy contacts are not syncing.

i read i need to delete all my contacts but when i do, how do i know it will not delete them from iCloud also? im told it wont be is there something clearly saying it wont?

Nov 13, 2012 1:05 AM in response to mumbles2701

4GB on a 64-bit OS is too little. Regardless of what Apple says. A 8GB upgrade kit goes for about $40 these days. Or go for 16GB for around $90. Will make a world of difference.

On the same vein, 11GB free on the drive is also cutting it too close to the bone. Need to free up a tad more room. Especially since it will be fragmented like a Gruyere cheese and the OS has to be desperately trying to piece together the bunch of little holes.

After taking care of those issues, may want to use a utility like OnyX to purge all the bunch of system and user caches and have them rebuilt. Sometimes corruption creeps in and causes sluggishness.

Nov 13, 2012 1:06 AM in response to mumbles2701

That's not quite enough space left on your hard drive - unless you have a 80-100GB hard drive? And 4GB of RAM is really a minimum - if your machine can use 8GB, I'd upgrade.

It does sound as if the sync services are having something to do with your slow performance. If you look at Activity Monitor, what % of your CPU are these services using? And you note that if you kill the processes you're back to normal?

I don't know about deleting your contacts as I don't think that's the root of your problem. Report back on the % of CPU time that these two processes are using.

Clinton

Nov 13, 2012 1:38 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

4Gbs is my maximum in my 5 year old machine. Its had the maximum in from day one. If i could up it i would 😟

and the drive is only 160Gbs. not something i would want to up in my old machine. I'll prob have to work and free up more space on it.

i'm not on MBP at the moment but as soon as back on i'll report the CPU usages. i remember that it was reporting up to 2.6Gbs of memory to addressbooksourcesync...

Nov 13, 2012 6:54 AM in response to mumbles2701

Oh, ok. You did indeed not state the model you have. But the HDD is no excuse. Maybe it chokes up on a 1TB hybrid SATA-3 monster, but can perfectly well handle a 300-500GB HDD that will run for about $50.

That being said, running the fattest cat on that elderly Mac sort of sounds like an exercise in optimism and patience, given that probably not even Steve Jobs foresaw running a 64-bit system on that hardware when it was designed. So.... you are gonna have to check all the startup items encumbered onto the poor thing and unload anything not needed in order to conserve as much of the little RAM and consume as few of the CPU cycles available.

Anything left running prior to sleep is suspect. Skype, all things iCloud, Java/Flash thingies on any open webpage, etc. As well as any other app that feels an overwhelming desire to phone home every time it wakes up/

Slow Wake From Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.