Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I merge the original and edited photo?

I have recently combined my iPhoto and Aperture libraries into one library. After doing this, I've had an issue with one project, where some photos show up twice, in their original un-edited form and the edited version (that I originally edited in Aperture). Problem is, I have since deleted the original files to let iPhoto/Aperture manage my library, and now I can't really use the edited version since it can't find the reference file (which is now located somewhere in the library, but not on the disk itself).

Is there anyway to "stack" the two photos, so I have the reference file in the Library but with my original edits applied?

Here is the edited photo (notice the icon in the lower-right corner, which I'm not familiar with):

User uploaded file

And here's the original, which I want the edited photo to use as a reference/"master" (I also have no idea what the icon in the corner means):

User uploaded file

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 3:05 AM

The badge means - "the referenced images master file has not been found", see:

Aperture 3 User Manual: Understanding Badge Overlays

If you know the location of the file that you want to use as the original, you can reconnect the edited version and the original image file. Select the image with the missing original file, then use the the command "File > Locate Referenced file" and in the panel that opens, select the image version that needs reconnecting in the upper panel; in the lower panel use the file browser to locate the original image file. Then the "reconnect" buttons should become active. Press "reconnect all".

Regards

Léonie

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2012 3:05 AM in response to Awilhelmscream

The badge means - "the referenced images master file has not been found", see:

Aperture 3 User Manual: Understanding Badge Overlays

If you know the location of the file that you want to use as the original, you can reconnect the edited version and the original image file. Select the image with the missing original file, then use the the command "File > Locate Referenced file" and in the panel that opens, select the image version that needs reconnecting in the upper panel; in the lower panel use the file browser to locate the original image file. Then the "reconnect" buttons should become active. Press "reconnect all".

Regards

Léonie

Nov 13, 2012 4:38 AM in response to Awilhelmscream

Can I refer to something already in the Library?

Aperture will not open the path into the library in the reconnect window.

Does Aperture regard these images as managed images? Then "reconnect" will not work.

What you can do is the following (a lot of work, unfortunately):

You can use the LIft&stamp tool to lift the adjustments and Metadata tags from the edited version and stamp this onto the original image you want to use as the new master. This way you will create a new edited version with all the settings bound to the master. Then delete the version with the broken link.

How do I merge the original and edited photo?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.