Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport extreme and Xbox 360 bug

Hi! I bought an airport extreme, it's perfect with all devices, except the xbox 360.

NAT problem is solved, i opened the port..but, with wifi-N the maximum bandwidth is 5mbps. It's not a range problem, because other N devices works perfectly (and the xbox is very close to airport)...and if I switch to wifi-G it's all ok, there is a 54mbps wifi connection.

So..it's not a big problem 'cause with 5Mbps i can download at 600kbps, but it's strange..i think that's a bug of the airport, can I report the problem to apple? Maybe they can fix the problem with the next firmware..

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:15 AM

3 replies

Feb 1, 2013 8:26 PM in response to elioelio

xbox slim doesn't do 5ghz wifi - so that's out of the option.

using n speeds on the 2.4ghz seems to cause the same problem.

The best 'solution' I've had is to allow the creation of a 2nd SSID for the 5ghz network, and disable N speeds on the 2.4ghz network.

Whatever the problem is - it's with how the AEBS or 360 communicates N speeds over 2.4ghz.

Here are my settings - this still *****, but at least everything is connected and working. The only port mapping was necessary was for xbox live.

User uploaded file

Feb 2, 2013 11:16 AM in response to elioelio

so, I think it's a problem with the xbox and simultaneous dual band routers broadcasting with the same SSID (network name) on both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels.

My final solution:

• I bought an xbox dual band wifi adapter (even though my xbox S had built in wifi...).
  • Configured the AEBS to broadcast the 5ghz channel with a different name (depicted below).
  • Connected the xbox specifically to the 5ghz network only.

Now I get awesome network performance from the 360. It isn't ideal having two ssid's in the house, because you get the question "Which one do I join?" from people, but this will allow me to get streaming HD content (recorded tv, etc) off my media center without the crazy lag.

User uploaded file

Network test via media center app on xbox (one small blip - that top line is my network speed now):

User uploaded file

Airport extreme and Xbox 360 bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.