Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari and Firefox out of date but what do I upgrade to ??

I have a G4 powerbook with OSX 10.5.6 ( think that is Leopard )

I am on the verge of buying an ipad at xmas but want to keep this running and useable as long as possible but I seem to almost be at a brick wall as I want to upgrade safari, firefox, itunes etc but whatever I do I always seem to be running something that needs updating first.

I know my hard disk is getting full and I need to get some space so I am on with that part of it but can someone please advise me as to what to do software upgrades wise ( and as importantly in what sequence ) so I can run the latest versions that my old trusty machine is capable of. I realise that this is an old machine and is quite restricted but any improvements will help.

It's got that bad now that I have to log in to icloud on my partners two year old "non apple" laptop !!

Many thanks

Tony

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 4:55 AM

5 replies

Nov 13, 2012 7:23 AM in response to tonybassplayer

I still use Safari 3.0.4 and Firefox 3.6.28 I think between the two of them I have yet to encounter a web page that won't work. Mind you I don't do heavy duty video streaming and I haven't visited every web site out there.

Other have had success with Tenfourfox I use too many old Firefox extensions that TFF broke so I don't use it much. Since it is a port of Mozilla you can't run TFF and FF at the same time, but I can run Safari and FF at the same time.

The "latest versions" of most software that will run on a PPC Mac are several generations out of date anyway. Pretty much everybody only develops for Intel Macs now. I figure if my old versions work, why fret about having the newest all the time?

Nov 13, 2012 10:05 AM in response to tonybassplayer

The one suggestion I can make is update your computer to 10.5.8. It is possible you may find a still-old but intermediate update which will work under 10.5.8.

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update - http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_8_Combo_Update - extra note about repairing permissions after update: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2106528?answerId=9968141022#9968141022

Safari and Firefox out of date but what do I upgrade to ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.