Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro - Crashes Network, battery drain with google DNS

Hi,

Here is the plot:

My beauty is a late 2011 MBP with OSX 10.7.5 running the whole show ! Until i had been using Netgear Wireless G Router, everything had been just great. Multiple devices were able to access the internet without a flaw. I made an upgrade to CISCO Linksys E2000 and ever since came the problems.

Problem 1: Whenever the Macbook Pro enters the wireless network with specifically multiple tabs on Safari browser, the Internet in my Network crashes. Yes. The LAN seems to be OK. Lights on my router are normal and my local file sharing is uninterrupted, ipad still streaming videos on vlc from my PC, etc. Its just that any of these devices are not able to connect to the Internet. The situation lasts for almost a min. or so and then it gets back to normal. This happens several times a day, sometimes even with single tab on the browser. I am hopeless :-(

Problem 2: After immense Googling, I saw somebody suggesing to try Google DNS 8.8.8.8 to overcome the above problem. It was really worth the try. I have no idea how, but it did resolve my issue. As a check, I tried reverting back to my ISP DSN and problem is confirmed. Though I am happy with the fix, my laptop battery drains very quickly. A steep 50% drop. So without much options, back to my ISP DSN and battery drain issue is fixed. But Problem 1 has started again. :-(

• Does anybody face the same problem?
  • What does MAC has to do in freezing the internet? And how is it impacting everybody on the Network?
  • Or is it a MAC-incompatible Router? - But LAN is active. So I still doubt if Router is the culprit.
  • Any alternatives?

I am from India and I have an Airtel Broadband ISP.

Thanks in Advance for the Help!

Regards,

Feroz

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:01 AM

3 replies

Nov 13, 2012 6:22 AM in response to feroz.s

I made an upgrade to CISCO Linksys E2000 and ever since came the problems.

Return it and get another Netgear router, a High Performance Dual Band Wireless N.

Make it secure here

WiFi security issues, at home and WiFi hotspots

This is what is causing your problem, it's Ciscos router firmware change.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/06/29/1425210/cisco-pushing-cloud-connect-rout er-firmware-allows-web-history-tracking

Return your DNS back to your ISP's, Google DNS only works well if there is a server in the same location as your ISP's server and really offeres little benefit, just bypasses if the ISP DNS is having temporary problems, complicates your long term stability greatly, slows downloads too.

Macbook Pro - Crashes Network, battery drain with google DNS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.